SPRINGER FRONT FOR HELP NEEDED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i cant seem to get my springer to fit on the frame i have. its a 26" frame and a 26" fork. the steering tube is 10" (will need to be cut shorter). the problem is the fork crown ring is to low.almost like my steer tube (frame portion) is to long. the fork is mocked in place.bearings are in and the bearing race nut is holding it together so i can test fit.

here are some pics to better help ya figure out what im talking about. im not sure if iam doing something wrong or the fork is simply not going to work with this frame.

DSCF7254.jpg

DSCF7255.jpg

DSCF7256.jpg

thanks for any help.

How much clearance are you lacking?

It's hard to tell from the pic.

...but if you are only lacking 1" and you can saw 1/2" off of the top and bottom of the steer tube (head tube), then you'd be good to go.

Pop the bearing races out, grab the hacksaw and measure once and cut twice. ....or is that measure twice and cut once? :mrgreen:

Another way to solve it is to make a custom part. It wouldn't be too difficult really and it could look really cool.

Just some thoughts.

Social Reject said:
How much clearance are you lacking?

It's hard to tell from the pic.

...but if you are only lacking 1" and you can saw 1/2" off of the top and bottom of the steer tube, then you'd be good to go.

Pop the bearing races out, grab the hacksaw and measure once and cut twice. ....or is that measure twice and cut once? :mrgreen:

Another way to solve it is to make a custom part. It wouldn't be too difficult really and it could look really cool.

Just some thoughts.

its prolly off close to 2" maybe less.i thought about cutting the frame but if i screw up ...thats bad lol.

custom part is a possible idea but im not sure how i would go about it.

outskirtscustoms said:
Have you tried to take the spring bolt out and flip the mount bracket upside down and put it on?

yup, the mount bracket is at the wrong angle when i do that. if i bent it ,it still wouldnt work as it sits to high.

Considering it's a troop springer, I would be looking to increase the length of the upper fork legs and rods by cutting, splicing and welding. It should be easy enough to find round stock with an inside diameter to match the outside diameter of those fork legs and rods!
That's just me though, good luck!

John c said:
Considering it's a troop springer, I would be looking to increase the length of the upper fork legs and rods by cutting, splicing and welding. It should be easy enough to find round stock with an inside diameter to match the outside diameter of those fork legs and rods!
That's just me though, good luck!
Darn spell check, I meant to say repop not troop! Lol.

Back