Spoke clips or clamps????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bear with me as I try to explain this.....

Is there such a thing as a clip/clamp that attach something, such as a wheel cover, to the spokes securely? The only thing I can thing of is the twist-clamp I see on the wheel reflectors of newer bikes. How do the wheels covers attach to the wheel? I've never seen one in person.

With most wheel covers I have seen, the halves attach to each other between the spokes, not to the spokes themselves. I have seen some that have built-in clips that just press onto the spokes, though.

With most wheel covers I have seen, the halves attach to each other between the spokes, not to the spokes themselves. I have seen some that have built-in clips that just press onto the spokes, though.
Agreed.

Luke.

What he said. :acute:

Schwinn Exerciser wheel covers have piece molded to the backside of them that pinch clip onto the spokes. But the other ones I have seen bolt through to each other.

I plan to use "sex bolts," from the sksteboard world. You know them alloy nuts that go into the deck to hold rails, nose, and skidplates on.

I plan to use "sex bolts," from the sksteboard world. You know them alloy nuts that go into the deck to hold rails, nose, and skidplates on.

I was leery on Googling Sex Bolts....... but I did it anyway. I know what they are. I used a couple on a 1/16 John Deere pulling tractor I built. After I split the body I needed a way to hold it together. There's one under the flag decal and one under the seat.

MyPuller01-vi.jpg

Here's what I got, 20" wheel covers off a huffy sigma and hopefully it easy to understand.

4 covers total, left and right for front and rear, left and right doesnt matter but the center holes are larger for the rear set due to the larger diameter hub. sprocket and coaster brake arm need to be removed to install and put back on afterwards.

sandwich the wheel cover on each side of the wheel, line up the hole for the valve stem on both sides, these use plastic nuts / bolts / washers (1 each side), put the reflectors opposite the valve stem hole and the longer bolt acts the same as the rest of the bolts.

IMG_0393_zps581084e3.jpg

IMG_0394_zps579d3c90.jpg

IMG_0396_zpsdb8d4dd0.jpg

IMG_0397_zpse8427653.jpg

IMG_0398_zps5801e0b2.jpg

IMG_0411_zps55a82ae0.jpg

(P.S. I would sell these)

I know there were some aluminum covers too that mounted similar to these. I have never seen the 26" mooneyes wheel discs though, may be something different.

These things were packed with dirt inside, if the wheels werent so crudded up i should of taken pics on the wheels. Shed is freezing and crowded right now, managed to sneak the covers in the house to clean up but i think scrubbing wheels in the sink would have gotten me in trouble :D

I was also thinking about how to mount a cover to the spokes though. What about gluing some spokey-dokes to a make-do wheel cover ? Might prove frustrating to get them mounted in the right spots though ... just a thought.

ngbbs4ba4e3b8d5a18.jpg

CCR........That made perfect sense. I don't think a set up like that will give me the look that I want tho.....:(

On a side note....If this bike thing doesn't work out for ya, you could always look for work as a male hand model ;)

Back