spiegel airman

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.S.BOLTNUT

He who dies with the most toys ,still dies No Fear
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
just scored this gem this weekend ,its a spiegel airman looks to be made by columbia ,plans are to strip it down and revamp her ,not quite sure wat direction to take with this one ?
spiegalheadbadge.jpg

love the head badge ,havent determind a year yet ?

airman.jpg

It is actually Huffy/Monark built and if my info is correct sold through the Speigel catalog.

Joe

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
just scored this gem this weekend ,its a spiegel airman looks to be made by columbia ,plans are to strip it down and revamp her ,not quite sure wat direction to take with this one ?
spiegalheadbadge.jpg

love the head badge ,havent determind a year yet ?

airman.jpg

yeshoney said:
It is actually Huffy/Monark built and if my info is correct sold through the Speigel catalog.

Joe

thanx goldstreet !,figured the part about the catalog,did'nt know abouut the huffy/monarck connection thanx joe,,do you think thats the right chaingaurd ?

Cool looking bike....the frame and tank looks like the ones on my Rollfast. Does the rear drop out have a row of connected holes where the fender/rack bolt up?

Looks to be Monark built, I'm guessing it has a single spring springer. The chainring looks like something else, possibly Chain Bike/Ross. I can't quite make out the chain guard, but it doesn't look like what they usually used on these. -Huffman (Huffy) bought Monark's bicycle division in 1957, and soon started selling rebadged Huffys under the Monark and Silver King names until around '64 or so. -Adam

Airman was Spiegels line of bikes just as Wards/Hawthorne, etc. Mine is definitely a Monark including the plate on the bottom of the BB with the Model & Serial numbers. I haven't dated mine yet but your Airman is a completely different frame. Tank and rear rack are different. Your chain guard may be an after market add on or that could be the guard that it came with. I have the same single (more rare than double) spring front fork. My Airman has holes in the front fender for a light so consider yourself fortunate. My theory is, it may not be a Super Deluxe but it's a harder collectible to find. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

69-1.jpg

68.jpg

75.jpg

70.jpg

:? man what alot of info to take in ,cleard a few things up ,(i think) :? thanx road master for showing your bike although different ,i see alot of simaleraties < what a hard word to spell :oops: .thanx to all...

Road Master said:
If you find out that your chain guard is not original or just want to change it Maple Island has both chain guards for Monarks from this era. Have fun! http://mapleislandsales.com/search_resu ... bmit+Query

hey 8) ,i just happen to have a chainguard layin around like the one on your bike i was thiking of useing. you know oddly enough the paint under the house paint on mine is the same as yours :idea: thanx again,,,,

Ralph

I think A.S.'s is an older (prewar?) style frame, like my Rocket:
adamtinkererscollection006.jpg
While Road Master's is the postwar Monark frame used on mid range up bikes, I think. -Adam

yes rustinkerer ,mine does resemble yours more it dos;nt have the preware rear dropouts with the adjuster screws like yours but it is a skip tooth :? and your tank is different ? i think yours is much older ,nice bike !

Nice find , makes me wonder about my Monark built bike , it was sans headbadge & ID tag when I got it , but the holes don't line up to a Monark badge , they're a little off , looks like that Airman badge might fit ??? Also the caingaurd pictured was on the bike when I got it .I'd like to find a tank like that , and a Cheese grater , as I'm making mine more like a Monark Deluxe
097.jpg

nice lobsterboy !yours looks alittle faster than mine,like wat you've done withit ! 8)

like yours also dogdart your frame and lobsters resemble mine the most with the matching curve in the top bars..nice spiegels.. 8)

Ralph

i was wondering about that too - that red one that was posted does not look like our bikes - i guess its all in the top tubes. id like to see one like ours in all original shape..

whenever i tell people about the bike, i just cut to the chase and say it built by monark - ahahahh it just saves time!

Actually, I was looking through "Evolution of the Bicycle, Vol.1" last night, and there are several Spiegel catalog pages which show both styles of frames together! So there were different models with different frames. Still all Monark then (49-51), though I've heard there are Huffman built Airman bikes out there too. -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Actually, I was looking through "Evolution of the Bicycle, Vol.1" last night, and there are several Spiegel catalog pages which show both styles of frames together! So there were different models with different frames. Still all Monark then (49-51), though I've heard there are Huffman built Airman bikes out there too. -Adam

hey rustinkerer ! do you have evolutin vol.2 i have some bikes in that one !..Ralph

hey rustinkerer ! do you have evolutin vol.2 i have some bikes in that one !..Ralph
But of course, I have ALL the vintage bike books pretty much! Cool that you have some rides in there! Those evo books have a few mistakes on the privately owned bikes, like non original parts and mis dated bikes, but the eye candy is worth it! :shock: -Adam

Back