Speed Master - CWC

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello
One of todays finds also posted with the other in New Finds. Not sure what I have here. badge says Speed Master by the Cleavland Welding Company. Has a skip tooth and cool front fender. Any know anything about these?? Do you think those are the original handle bars? I am thinking it is from the 1940s based on the skip tooth but not sure.
Thanks for any help
100_4632.jpg

100_4633.jpg

100_4635.jpg

Re: Speed Master ????? serial #

That's the oldest bike I've ever seen with that Monark style sprocket...the skip tooth version to boot. 8) Gary

ratina said:
That does match up with Cleveland Welding serial numbers, and the sprocket is correct for one also. I'm guessing it is, I've never seen a diamond frame version before.
This is getting interesting - do the serial numbers tell me what year this bike is????????

bebopblu said:
ratina said:
That does match up with Cleveland Welding serial numbers, and the sprocket is correct for one also. I'm guessing it is, I've never seen a diamond frame version before.
This is getting interesting - do the serial numbers tell me what year this bike is????????

Yes but I'm not sure how to tell by the frames features. Its either 41 or 46/47, I'm leaning towards postwar 46/47

Thanks for all the help so far. And to think I almost left this bike. I went there to buy a Columbia straight bar cruiser. When I saw the Speed Master and the skip tooth I thought I should try to do a package deal. I made an offer which I did not expect to be accepted and when he said yes I had to make room for another bike :lol:

ratina said:
Its a cool bike. What are your plans for it?
I think I will try one of the fenders in oxalic acid this weekend and see what happens. Underneath the brown dirt and rust coating there is a nice dark maroon color with plenty of patina that I would like to bring out. The wheels rust coating are hiding white rims with black pinstripes. The frame has alot of white pinstriping also. So a good cleaning and lube and then see what I have and how she rides.

Your bike should be considered an early 1942 production model based both on the serial number and the black-out Parkerized components used to equip the bicycle.

The bike is from the second series of “A” serialed Cleveland Welding built bicycles which entered production as 1942 models (the first “A” series serial numbers date to 1935/36 and later “A” bikes were built in a number of different series through the postwar 40’s and 50’s.)

Western Autos based literature lists dates for the “A” bicycles they received as January 1942 to December 1943 but the actual factory production of these frames may date to between late 1941 and early 1942 as CWC generally discontinued manufacturing bicycles in February of 1942. (After that date completed bicycles left the factory built up from frames and parts on hand but that slowed to a trickle of generally less than 100 bicycles per month during much of 1943 based on production information I have received courtesy of the NBHAA.)

With that in mind your bike can be considered a U.S. Wartime production bicycle and that means it can be considered a fairly typical adult victory bicycle. Cleveland Welding was actually not a part of the overall victory program but, like many other manufacturers, they had initiated a lightweight model line for 1939 that was meant to lure U.S. Adults back to cycling as a leisure time activity. With a lightweight line already in production it appears they stepped up production of the model when our involvement in the war became imminent. While the same bike was produced from late 1938 onward, all the versions I have recorded to date have been “A” series bikes in Maroon paint with varying degrees of black-out equipment. I don’t believe the lightweight line was revived when CWC returned to manufacturing bicycles (probably as early as 1944) more than likely due to the fact that filling the initial demand for balloon bicycles was well beyond production and materials capabilities.

Relating to this bike:

Speed Master was one of the many badge brands produced by Cleveland Welding.

CWC chain rings are often confused with Monark rings because of the pattern of the big and small comet cut into them. In reality they are not the same and CWC introduced the design first (In 1935 while Monark was still using a version of a Sweetheart ring.) Differentiating them is easy because CWC never produced this pattern in ½” pitch and Monark never produced a 1” pitch version of their chain ring.

Your bike looks very original including the handlebars. Many owners (in the day and today) would flip the bars to simulate a racing look but period literature will always show the bike with the bars upright in the standard touring position.

bebopblu said:
ratina said:
Its a cool bike. What are your plans for it?
I think I will try one of the fenders in oxalic acid this weekend and see what happens. Underneath the brown dirt and rust coating there is a nice dark maroon color with plenty of patina that I would like to bring out. The wheels rust coating are hiding white rims with black pinstripes. The frame has alot of white pinstriping also. So a good cleaning and lube and then see what I have and how she rides.

I would suggest being very careful with oxalic acid on painted parts. Oxalic acid will remove the iron oxidation but it can harm the paint and will probably remove the pin striping on short order. If you do decide to experiment with it, try brushing it on a small area up high under the fender crown, where the results will be hidden, first to see what happens. Be sure to have a garden hose ready to neutralize the reaction quickly if you don't like what is happening.

Thanks so much to rms37 for all of the detailed info. That makes this the oldest bike I own.
Question: If the oxalic acid is a bad idea for the paint - what is the best way to approach the cleanup ????
Thanks again

I would clean with some Simple Green or other mild detergent. Then maybe protect with a light coat of oil. This probably won't get the rust off but will preserve the patina. Getting the paint back may be difficult. You might also try to vinegar as it may be less potent than Oxalic acid.

rms37 said:
CWC chain rings are often confused with Monark rings because of the pattern of the big and small comet cut into them. In reality they are not the same and CWC introduced the design first (In 1935 while Monark was still using a version of a Sweetheart ring.) Differentiating them is easy because CWC never produced this pattern in ½” pitch and Monark never produced a 1” pitch version of their chain ring.

Thanks Phil. Now I know. You are a wealth of info and I think I speak for everyone on the forum when I say I'm glad to have you here. :!: Gary

Beatiful Bike! I'd honestly be interested if you decide to sell it!! Im a bit of a stooge for lightweights! :lol: :lol:

Im on the fence right now about selling it. It is my oldest bike now and my only lite weight BUT I have no room left. I will let you know - I want to clean her up first ( I think my favorite part is taking them apart and cleaning them up - call me strange :? ) I will post photos when thats done.

Re: Speed Master - sister bike on CL

If anyone is interested look at my post in the Craigs List forum. The guy is selling the sister bike to this boys Speed Master. I am assuming it is the same age from 1942. Skiptooth is in very nice shape, definately not ridden as hard as the boys. Can bet got for a very good price :wink:

Latest posts

Back