specialized single speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, one day I recieved this old specialized hardrock bike from a friend at work for free. I decided to turn it into a single speed commuter bike for college. With 66OLDS98 leading the project and doing the mechanical work, this is what came out.
I have a flat bar that I need to eventually change out.
dresser008.jpg

dresser007.jpg

dresser006.jpg

Nice clean setup and that Specialized looks mint! Used one of those SS conversion kits on a Redline I built, amazing how light and quiet everything is without the deraileur and shifters etc.

nice and simple. what gearing did you go with? tighten your seat post clamp

Rat Rod said:
Looks AWESOME!

Wonder what it would look like without the rear brakes?

That's funny. I was thinking it would look even better w/o a front brake. :)

Only problem is that you get a fork with ugly brake bosses sticking out, that's why I went with discs like below for my SS

IMG_0623.jpg

cman- the seatpost is tightened. I just have the clamp on backwards. :mrgreen: The gearing is 32/16.

Unfortunately, I need both brakes on it as around here it is very hilly, especially on the way to school.

I am thinking about putting a brooks brown leather saddle on the bike.

Need to do somethning about that rear brake housing. Maybe it would look better with out them. The posts should just unscrew from the frame. Does look pretty good now that I see it in some pics!

sweet converstion.. i like the idea of the flat bar.. or even a more aggressive stem and bar combo.. looks sweet..

HutchXL24 said:
Rat Rod said:
Looks AWESOME!

Wonder what it would look like without the rear brakes?

That's funny. I was thinking it would look even better w/o a front brake. :)

I think there is some theory about inertia that makes it better to leave the front for better stopping power.

I'm sure of the fixie gurus can explain this better.

Yes, it is true. the front brake is used prob. 80% percent of the time, like when your bombing downhill. Your monmentum is going forward. Applying the rear would only cause you to skid. There is a fine line with the front brake, to much braking and your over the bars, Ha! Oh yea, that schwinn varsity is of the hook!!!

66olds98 said:
Applying the rear would only cause you to skid.

That's what I'm talking about! Have you done a wicked skid since you were a kid. I think it's even better as an adult. :D

Back