Specialized Armadillo Tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not, but a good friend uses them to commute to work everyday in the bay area where the streets are pretty jacked up and littered. he swears by them.

I just ordered a set of the Continental Sport Contacts, w/reflective strip, for my commuter as they are supposed to be pretty puncture resistand, and great for many surfaces with very low rolling resistance.

I havent used them either but I use the Scwalbe Big Apples with Kevlar. The only flat came from the small wire that makes up tire radials. I have ridden over goathead(puncture vine) with no problems.

All you have to do is choose your favorite tire, use some brush on truck bed liner on the inside, put on the tube and tire, and puncture proof tires you have.

Cool. Will that liner stuff work for riding lawn mower tires? I spent $100 last year for 2 Amerityre puncture proof front tires for my John Deere mower. The thorns are killing me...locust, hawthorne, green briar...flats are endless around here. :x
B607

After getting a lot of flats, I asked my LBS for some better protected tires. The said Armadillos. I got a pair that I wore out before getting a flat. I went a few 1000 miles on that set of tires commuting to work. The next set got a diamond shaped piece of glass stuck in between the rubber and kevlar that finally punch thru. The 3rd set are still on another bicycle with no flats.

B607 said:
Cool. Will that liner stuff work for riding lawn mower tires? I spent $100 last year for 2 Amerityre puncture proof front tires for my John Deere mower. The thorns are killing me...locust, hawthorne, green briar...flats are endless around here. :x
B607
Yeah actually I got the idea from a lawn mower racer. He used Hurculiner on the inside of his tires. I'm not sure of the brand, but I know that some Monster Trucks have it used on the Outside of their tires to prolong the use as well.

Goatheads are magically attracted to my tires. I picked up a pair and have ridden a few hundred miles without problems. I would have gone with Schwalble Marathon Plus, but they aren't made in 27". Both are heavy and have thick plastic between the tube and the road. If I remember correctly, the Schwalble's were $15 or so cheaper.

I have Specialized Armadillo tires on my Hillbomber from RRBBO3, and they're awesome! They look bad as heck, and I've done some pretty decent off road runs with them, they held up great. They're also really good on road. Totally worth the cash.
DSCN0113.jpg

puncture proof..sounds interesting, will have to look into them for the mountain bike.

Did a quick google search and found that people still get flats .. no point to waste 110$ if they really arent puncture proof....just care a patch kit and a co2 air kit in your pack.

Pawel said:
Did a quick google search and found that people still get flats .. no point to waste 110$ if they really arent puncture proof

Just as no watch will be waterproof, no tire will be puncture proof. However, Armidillo and Marathon Plus are very puncture resistant. If you constantly do nasty things to your tubes and tires, they can greatly reduce the number of flats.

I bought mine for $30 a piece and they make my old yellow "Heavy Duty" cruiser look better. They also ride well. I do think I will consider the brush on bedliner when on my other tires.

08Taco said:
I bought mine for $30 a piece and they make my old yellow "Heavy Duty" cruiser look better. They also ride well. I do think I will consider the brush on bedliner when on my other tires.

Where did you find them so cheap?

Where did you find them so cheap?[/quote]

I bought mine about a year ago. I actually had them in my garage and I forgot about them.

Back