Some bits from a basement clean out

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks!
Recently, a freind of mine saw my Motorized bike in my social media feed and asked me about it because the house he moved into had one sitting in the corner of the basement.
I told him to drop in on over and I would take a look at it.
That was a few months ago..
So, last week, his wife was going to kill him if he didn't clean the place out, so he offered me all the bike related contents.

First off, i want to identify the frame of the MB, going by the chainring crank, its a schwinn of sone sort, newer because it has Vbrake bosses and set up for a rear derailleur... seems to be inspired by older cantilever frames..
a25cad57da6aabe23b43e7c0f0b09ae2.jpg

Up next, and I'm just trying to get the year and model, because im having a hard time deciphering the serial number.
Bottom bracket, EP800327
Head badge is 0448
Intigrated kickstand, skinny seatpost.
69b079bb24f51722b8e390cd4cf2353c.jpg

Next up, a royce union 3 speed, sturmy archer rear hub. I understand these arent worth much, but i like these types and will probably wet sand the patina and give it a satin clear coat and general resto.
0e35a4f7a3bf6632b4881c077f480816.jpg

Last up, for the giggles, a 2003 Pagsta Choppa mini chopper!
557ed7aaa3cc23da377442d385f8c323.jpg

Its power plant was a chinese knock off of a Honda P50, i sold it to the breweries maintenance guy who has more experience with such things..
Its not worth much at all, but, its a pretty well built frame... im thinking of a briggs transplant..

This thread is mostly about showing off a haul, but i would love some feedback on the stuff I got.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I want to say the schwinn is probably late 80s, but I'm not really a schwinn guy.

Don't know a thing about the Royce Union.

That chopper is pretty cool, I'd go Briggs too. Nice start to a cool little pit bike.

Late 80 fork... Same as my 87 cruiser... If has any graphic left can tell. Looks like seat post was washed off can't blame em... Did same mine..

Thanks for the stuff so far folks.. sorry about the side ways images. My phone has gone wonky.

Ill try to fix and repost them, unless a mod has a way of rotating them?

Thanks for the stuff so far folks.. sorry about the side ways images. My phone has gone wonky.

Need take pictures in horizontal mode when uploading from phone.

The sensors on my phone went out so the screen rotation is messed up.. i thought i was taking pictures in a way they would show up well for the forum... unfortunately, they didn't, and I posted with tapatalk and the app didn't show a preview before posting, just the code.

So.. there ya have it..

I gotta find a fork like that mini chopper.
I guess I could use a spare moped fork.:39:

Late 80 fork... Same as my 87 cruiser... If has any graphic left can tell. Looks like seat post was washed off can't blame em... Did same mine..
No decal remnants that i can tell.

What do you meen by the seat post was washed off? That it was sawed off to remove a stuck post?
the clamp was removable so its sitting off to the side..

The seat post tube is a skinny type so i had to special order a new one..
Also the neck takes a 21.1mm quill stem.. had to special order one of those as well!

The tires hold air so I should have it on the road by next week.

Im thinking some mid rise apes.

However... im thinking of swapping out the forks for a traditional springer.. that should just swap out right? New head set bearings becouse of the 21.1mm neck tube?

Sorry, meant graphics, they had huge Schwinn box logos on the sides of seat tube mid to late eighties..
I always wet sand off, hate em..
Like the 80's cruiser script.

A little update on on all this junk...

The serial number on the old schwinn is saying May of 1978 if any of these things are to belived..

Apperntly during the 80's, things got wierd with the numbers..

It only has a date on the badge and a code under the bottom bracket, nothing on the head tube or drop outs..

It also has the skinny seat post, so presumably, the head tube is also a wierd size... i want to slap a springer on it.. any suggestions for sources?

I have a high rise goose neck on the way for it.. its 21.1 mm, and the only quills i had like that were 22mm

Wjat might happen is that the road bike quill I was able to fit is going to stay, the north road bars switched to mid rise apes and the royce union will get the new goose neck.

I got the MB to spark up this morning after replacing the throttle grip and carb.

Then the drive chain broke. ..

That bike is going to be a bit of work as the person who put it together originally appears to have been an idiot. . So a lot of thier stuff is going to have to be undone.

The royce union 3spd appears to be raleigh made. I know they did some for western auto/flyer, i have a london flyer, but did not know they were sold under the royce union moniker. Any chance the headtube badge is still there? Would love to see it.

So did you aquire this stuff, or selling this stuff?

I seen all this on ATL CL, and was curious about that chopper frame.

Nice to see another ATLien on here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

The Schwinn, if 78, would have the serial number on the head tube. The lookup tool is mainly for the dropout serial numbers. The bottom bracket numbers on Chicago Schwinns were pre-53. Your bike must have been made after Schwinns were made out of the USA after 1983. Still has good quality though.

The Royce Union has a 3 speed Sturmey Archer? Then the date code is on the chrome shell of the rear hub. Small digits show month and year the hub was made, and probably is the same as the whole bike. ex: 03 72 by the name on the shell would signify March of 1972.

I acquired it.. A friend of mine was flipping a house and asked me I wanted all this bike stuff.

The Royce has been restored as found. As in, made rideable, I opted to keep the paint grungy. But I gave her a overhaul.
A ratrod English 3-speed.. I'll have to check the SA hub for a date..

The schwinn has been under going a full restore and tricking out.

This past weekend, I stripped the frame down to bare metal and gave it a fresh paint job... It now has a set of Springer forks.. I'll be ordering new bell button tread white walls for it this week.

Still trying to decide between ape hangers or cruiser bars..

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

I'm actually in Richmond VA... Was somebody hijacking my photos?

The Schwinn, if 78, would have the serial number on the head tube. The lookup tool is mainly for the dropout serial numbers. The bottom bracket numbers on Chicago Schwinns were pre-53. Your bike must have been made after Schwinns were made out of the USA after 1983. Still has good quality though.

The Royce Union has a 3 speed Sturmey Archer? Then the date code is on the chrome shell of the rear hub. Small digits show month and year the hub was made, and probably is the same as the whole bike. ex: 03 72 by the name on the shell would signify March of 1972.

Going by the shell on the hub of the RU.. The bike is from 1961 it would appear.. She is rolling again.

The schwinn only has a number on the bottom bracket, and a date stamp on the head badge.. Nothing anywhere else.. No head tube stamp, no drop out stamp. Far as I can tell it's a nap from the mid 70's to mid 80's.. A strange orphan in time..

The welds are exquisite so I don't think it's Chinese at all..

I'm in the midst of doing a resto-mod on it... Getting a little carried away.. Repo Springer.. Apes.. Got new fenders on the way...
The old bells cleaned up nice, but they need to be replaced.. That will be next payday... Bell still makes those old button treads.
32fcc415ad72951a44a087f391c5a8ae.jpg
1c34ac0916b1edf955ba1d9994be106b.jpg

Latest posts

Back