SoCal rusty pubber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whoah -- hey! Hadn't been back to this thread in a while. Didn't realize people were still checkin' it out. Thanks for all the great comments, guys!

Ed -- thanks for the suggestion on the seatpost; I'll definitely do that. I was having the same problem with the spinning. What did you use for the actual post where it inserts into the downtube? I ended up using another piece of the black iron gas pipe, but I had to grind down the sides all the way around so that it would fit. Took forever. (But not as long as it took to strip that frame; you may have spent a couple days stripping your rust, but I don't know how many hours it took me to get it all down to bare steel. Many, many, many days, I would guess....)

Thanks again for looking!

Over a year later... just wondering if the rust broke free from the clear coat? Also, wouldn't the rust be able to keep eating into the tubes, even coated?

If rust can be permanently preserved like this then I'm in! Here in Eastern NC just make it bare metal and wait a week and you got rust coat.

yoothgeye said:
Over a year later... just wondering if the rust broke free from the clear coat? Also, wouldn't the rust be able to keep eating into the tubes, even coated?

If rust can be permanently preserved like this then I'm in! Here in Eastern NC just make it bare metal and wait a week and you got rust coat.

Hey yoothgeye — thanks for taking a look. The rust did start poking through a little bit in some areas where the clearcoat was a little thin (it was just rattle can clear, so I'm sure it wasn't real even), so about a month ago I re-coated the frame. Seems to be holding up well! My understanding on the rust is that as long as oxygen isn't getting to it, then it's no longer oxidizing.... but I'll let you know if the thing suddenly falls apart during a ride.

Here in So. Cal. it's relatively dry, so bare metal lying around takes a while to start developing rust. If I lived in your area, I'd probably go for a professional body shop clear coat, just to be sure.

Really cool and inspirational build.

Great color combo and execution.

I love this bike.

Back