Snow, Snow everywhere...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning I got up and had every intention of going on a nice long ride. The sun was shining outside so I was excited about another good day of riding... Until I saw the snow... :x I know, I live in Canada! SNOW HAPPENS!! But when you only recently get a bike and you really want to get in shape snow puts a huge damper on riding.
Why don't I ride in the snow? Tires are not meant for it. Tread is not good enough. And around my town if you ride in the winter you could die. Some still try and some make it. Last year there were a number of accidents though and I really don't want to be a statistic.
So my season has come to an abrupt end. However all is not lost. I have a number of bike projects lined up to keep me busy through the winter. Frankenstein meets Mad Max??? :shock: I'll be posting my bike builds as I work on them and I have a few bikes to pick up at my girlfriends cottage. Hopefully I get there soon I really want to restore those old bikes.
At least I can read what everyone else is up to on here :D

I thumb my nose at you sir! :p You'll get yours... :lol:

london's been free and clear also, but we did have a little hail yesterday.

cman said:
Riding in the snow is not all bad, especially if you have studded tires. :wink:
It's the people who drive around here that you need to worry about. They don't see cyclists at the best of times. :shock: It's really bad. That's why I had commented somewhere that even though I don't know anyone here personally I do hope they are careful when they ride. It's awful how many cyclists get hit around my town.

I would think the first project you would build is one of those stands that hook on your drop outs and a friction wheel and make it into a stationary bike till it warms up. :roll:

I feel for you BrunneCustoms. I woke to 53 degrees. Could not wear my sandals and had to put on a sweat shirt. This Fla. weather is crazy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Couple of problems with a stationary... I live on the second floor of a house that was made into an apartment. I have very limited space. The space I do have I've put reptile cages in :mrgreen:. Secondly the neighbor downstairs is nice so I'd rather not disturb her making noise with a bike upstairs. A heated garage isn't an option either unfortunately because I only have a car port. The basement is where I work on my bikes so I took all the room there too... I'm doomed to wait out winter and if I can I'll borrow my girlfriends mountain bike (it's actually a boy's bike) and get out when it's not extremely cold.

I hear you bro I'm cramped for space too (10' x 10' shed) so when it's not pouring down rain or too cold I ride.

Nothing too extreme but first snowy commute. It was only slick where the cars had driven, so I stuck to the sides of the road. Tuesday morning could be more as we have another storm coming in tonight.

IMAG0256.jpg

Not alot of snow but the roads sucked this morning. Ride in the fresh stuff and get a workout or ride in the car tracks and slip and slide. I have my studded tires that will go on my new snow bike for mornings like this.

IMAG0260.jpg

I have the same problem. An arctic blast blew in last night and it's currently 23 degrees out :| . Here in Portland even a little snow causes people to go crazy, there is less than a 1/8" in the grass and none on the roads but most most of the schools are closed and that's all people can talk about. Luckily my school is closed but it's too cold in the shop so it looks like I'll be cruising the forum all day :wink: .

The snow we had didn't even last overnight. It keeps coming down but it doesn't stay. Tomorrow looks like it will be a big storm coming. Hopefully it'll melt away quickly. Even though the snow melts my riding is done. The wind is enough to knock me off the bike. I tried yesterday to go out but I only made it to the other end of the block and got creamed with a gust of wind. I spent all day today stripping the parts off another road bike I plan on restoring.

Back