~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ The Finale. p13

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Fri. night artwork. Pg.8

Well one of the things that has had me stupified is the inability to 100% identify my Monark model. I've scoured the internet and the CABE and this site to try to find an answer or a clue. Along the way I found some decent info, some clues and some inspiration for what direction to go with the bike. The Rat Rodenization... :? ..... continues.

I found this picture of 24" Chain guard that reads only "Deluxe". It's from a24" Monark. I have never heard of a 24" Monark Deluxe (as opposed to "Super Deluxe") except for one other member here on RRB's who wanted to ID his bike, which looked just like mine, and this chain guard. That RRB member's chain guard read "Deluxe" also. Mine was down to the bare metal so no graphics. So...I'm going with it. I decided, my Monark is a Deluxe!
Picture21.png

Inspiration A: This bike belongs to a member from RRB's. It's a Monark, a very cooool looking Monark. I knew I wanted mine to have a similar feel as this one. I love the skirts too but I haven't been able to find some at a good price. One of the badges of honor in making a Rat Rod Bike is that you didn't spend a ton of cash on it or it's parts. That's what the guide book says!!! :roll:
monarkratrod.jpg

Inspiration B: This is one bad "don't @%(# with me" little (like my bike), cigarette smokin dude, as well as a very cool piece of art. I want to give my bike this same 'tude. Perfect inspiration for "Smokin' in the Boyz Room"!
nochingezconmigocabron.jpg

So, here is the continuation of my attitude infusion. Started easy with putting stripes on the rack. I started gathering parts right after buying the bike in June last year. I bought the seat from Double Nickel. It's just bare metal, pitted, really ratty and It was next. Drew out a loose design with pencil then had at it with the trusy testors.
2012-01-29181716-1.jpg

2012-01-30180232.jpg

2012-01-30180436.jpg

Now for the "Deluxe" chainguard. Same thing, drew guidelines with a pencil based on the photo I found then, come on testors, don't fail me now! 8)
2012-02-01002435.jpg

That's enough for today. :|

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Sun.8th: Tank artwork. pg.6

WOW! :shock: :D
Tank turned out great!
Bike is KILLER!
Keep up the great work! :mrgreen:[/quote]

Thanks ma friend. Attempting to put the special touches that make our bikes (us rat rodders) that much more special. :wink:

That's gonna look sweet on your ride.
Love the striping and lettering!!!
Bravo!

tvc15 said:
Nice ride!!! I'm following this one!
kingfish254 said:
That's gonna look sweet on your ride.
Love the striping and lettering!!!
Bravo!

Thanks guys. I like it so far. Just playing it by ear. We'll see what else I come up with, even I don't know. :mrgreen:

How well does the Testor's enamel hold up on a bike??????

bike2112 said:
East, you totally captured what you described with the seat art. It looks "PERFECT" on your bike.
I'm tryin :)

kingfish254 said:
How well does the Testor's enamel hold up on a bike??????
king, the testors being an enamel paint, hardens up and glosses up good. I had to remove some blurbs after it had dried and I had a devil of a time removing it. I know the pros use 1Shot lettering enamel but us po folk/ratters make do! Don't we?! Haha. More pics below!!

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Sat. gettin artsy wit it! Pg.8

Hadn't pin striped before and don't have the real stuff (1 Shot), but went at it freestyle. Called on my art background! Not perfect, but not bad I think. I was going to just leave the "Deluxe" alone, but it needed MORE :shock: Haha! Yee-ahh! ... and now, I'm headin off for a bbq and a couple cold ones! See y'all later!
2012-02-01010916.jpg

2012-02-01011146.jpg

2012-02-01140853.jpg

2012-02-01140930.jpg

2012-02-01140949.jpg

2012-02-01142450.jpg

2012-02-01142513.jpg

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Sat. gettin artsy wit it!

Wow, that is a work of art!!!
I was really inspired by your work so I rode my Nirve Cannibal down to the art supply store and the hobby train shop and picked up some Krylon red and white enamel along with some hobby train "Engine Black" enamel. They were about 3 times the paint in a Testor's bottle. The Krylon was $2.80 and the train paint was $5.50.
I am going to give it a shot free hand painting my chainguard as well.

CHEERS!!!!

This build is off-the-charts cool! 8) 8) 8)

Really beautiful work!

Great job on the tank and chainguard :!: :!: It totally fits the look of your bike 8) 8)

That's one sweet hot rod you've got :wink:

Peatbog said:
:shock: Whoa! Nice job.
Thank you sir!

kingfish254 said:
Wow, that is a work of art!!!
I was really inspired by your work so I rode my Nirve Cannibal down to the art supply store and the hobby train shop and picked up some Krylon red and white enamel along with some hobby train "Engine Black" enamel. They were about 3 times the paint in a Testor's bottle. The Krylon was $2.80 and the train paint was $5.50.
I am going to give it a shot free hand painting my chainguard as well.

CHEERS!!!!
Thanks kingfish! The paint you picked up sounds good! I hadn't seen it before. The issue I found with the non pro stuff like the testors that I used is that it doesn't flow nicely. I was also using cheap art brushes, which didn't help the lettering/striping process. But, I made do and you can too if you encounter the same "flow" issue. The artwork tends to dry quick with the testors and it may happen with the Krylon you got, but just have at it. You can clean up edges with a cheap very small and semi stiff bristle "chisel" style brush and some mineral spirits or thinner of your choice. Just try not to let too much time pass before thinner clean up. You'll do fine! Mo-Faux shows us we don't have to be timid with our artwork either. His artwork is really bold and came out very cool.

CHEERS right back at ya!

sleepy said:
This build is off-the-charts cool! 8) 8) 8)

Really beautiful work!
Appreciate it bro!

Circa Cycles said:
Great job on the tank and chainguard :!: :!: It totally fits the look of your bike 8) 8)

That's one sweet hot rod you've got :wink:
Thank you man! I'm happy that things are going well with my build. This is my first custom build and I'm hooked 4 LIFE! :mrgreen:

Love the chain guard. The photo went straight into my inspiration file.

EastOfEastLos said:
Thanks kingfish! The paint you picked up sounds good! I hadn't seen it before. The issue I found with the non pro stuff like the testors that I used is that it doesn't flow nicely. I was also using cheap art brushes, which didn't help the lettering/striping process. But, I made do and you can too if you encounter the same "flow" issue. The artwork tends to dry quick with the testors and it may happen with the Krylon you got, but just have at it. You can clean up edges with a cheap very small and semi stiff bristle "chisel" style brush and some mineral spirits or thinner of your choice. Just try not to let too much time pass before thinner clean up. You'll do fine! Mo-Faux shows us we don't have to be timid with our artwork either. His artwork is really bold and came out very cool.

CHEERS right back at ya!

All of my brushes are from art student yard sales (benefit from being in a art colledge town).

If it sets too fast , I may try a dab of Flotrol to the paint.

Turpentine, thin Testors with it until you think it's too thin, then thin it a bit more. It will flow real nice, but man will it stink!. I always use a mack 00, never tried an art brush, but your lines look good!

Rg

tvc15 said:
Well done! I don't think I could have done that my first time!
Thank you tvc15.

raggedjim said:
Turpentine, thin Testors with it until you think it's too thin, then thin it a bit more. It will flow real nice, but man will it stink!. I always use a mack 00, never tried an art brush, but your lines look good!

Rg
Thanks for the info. I didn't try turpentine, just mineral spirits and Testors thinner.. I thought all thinners would just make the Testors more transparent the more you thinned it. In true Rat Rod form, I'm tryin to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, so, I've been using stuff lying around which includes using the cheapy brushes I had lying around :mrgreen:

ruddigger said:
Effing sweet man.
Thanks ruddiger 8)

Back