small tires big rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I stuck a 26 x 2.125 on a 3 1/4'' wide rim just for fun. It started kind coming off
the rim before it got wide enough. I stopped before I put too much air in it. I figured
if I was doing something really stupid and blew off my hand or something I would ask
if anybody has actually done it and still has both their hands and stuff. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Don't know if the counts.
Surly Large Marge 65mm (2.5")
with a 26 x 2.125 Kenda Flame on it. And A 26x2.5 inch tube

I have had no trouble.

Never tried a 3" wide rim :roll: :shock:

BUILDOFF7012.jpg

BUILDOFF7014.jpg

Looks good. The side bead started kinda coming up like it was going to jump off the
rim and I thought man if I blow off a finger or something acting stupid. I would be mad.
I quit. I may try to wire the air chuck on and let my compressor start and build it up,
without me holding it and see what happens. If it blows up at least I could have it
outside and me not holding it. :shock: :shock: :shock:

have done it with car tires.. but not bikes... if you stretch the tires, say maybe put blocks of wood inside them to make them
wide vice tall let them set for a while.. then get an oversized tube... it might work.... on a car the tire takes on a strange
shape .. but looks kinda cool .. as in different...but they fold off the rim pretty easy ..

You might be able to wrap a ratchet strap around the tire and wheel, in the center of the tire. To kind of keep the beads pushed over into the groove on the rim. It would push the center of the tire in toward the rim. I've done it on a wheelbarrow tire and I know that 4x4 guys do it when they're out in the boonies with no compressor. I don't have a compressor so I'd be using a hand pump anyway.

As wide as the rim is , its hard to keep the bead anywhere. Has quite a bit of travel
to get out on both sides. Then it looks funny like the bead is not in the right spot.
The tube wants to push the tire up as much as it wants to push it out sideways, if
that makes any sense.

I get what you are saying. Use some zip ties. Go between every other spoke to keep the tire down. Once the bead grabs cut half of them off and add some more air. Do it! I have had this exact idea rolling through my head for a while and want to see it done.

Uncle Stretch said:
As wide as the rim is , its hard to keep the bead anywhere. Has quite a bit of travel
to get out on both sides. Then it looks funny like the bead is not in the right spot.
The tube wants to push the tire up as much as it wants to push it out sideways, if
that makes any sense.
you can put a cargo strap around the tire also .. that will limit its go up .. and force it out.. and if you strecth
the tire out so that it holds that size it will help . but I would try a tube that is one size bigger than the tire your
using

Well,my guess is that it shouldn't be a problem.
The pic below shows two bikes with low-profile wheels. I couldn't find any info on the tyres,but looking at the wheels with the 100 mm rims,the tyres can't be bigger than 2.35. So this trick should work for an 80 mm rim/2.125 too.
Please don't shoot me, if I'm wrong.

this is a 26 x 2.1 tire .. stretched out .. you can see it will fit a fat rim pretty easy .. i dont have any .. but put a 1.75 rim in pic to show
ref size...
car%20411_zpsa24edb82.jpg

car%20412_zps72ece280.jpg

a 26 x 2.10 intense micro knobby would be a cool tire to try this with ... I will have to wait for chuck to sell me some wide rims i guess

Spincycle said:
Looks like its possible. This is an 80mm rim with a 2.125" on it.
http://behindbarsinc.bigcartel.com/product/brick-tread-tires

I saw that one is where I got the idea to try it.
Yeah I think maybe the tire I'm using the sidewall is too thick. I may try a Kenda.
They are pretty thin on the sidewalls and maybe that will work.
I could buy a big tire , but my tire money fund is getting low,especially since I really
don't have a build for these to go on. This last one would take a Surly floyd with room to spare.
These $100 tires are killing me. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Back