skull-o sis (lights, camera, devilution! )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: skull-o sis (diabolical lighting :) )

icyuod2 said:
stretch said:
ah first attempts at striping? admirable for the leap forward, but maybe just some cool looking labels might be more fitting. :wink: :D glad you were thinking the same thing. i figured you didnt b/c red and green might give off the wrong (x-mas) vibe.

no need to beat around the bush.
i know it sucks, you know it sucks, lets call a chicken a chicken. :)

i think i learn as much if not more from my failures as i do when i get it right.
its the reason i've been showcasing my failures in this thread (figured you guys might learn from em also)
Just paint that piece all red...simple sometimes comes off as complex... :)

I missed the lighting pictures that's so nice and the pinstriping don't put yourself down its great. Oh did you know that you got one of your shoes in the photo............... :lol:

the button is super cool the rest is ok doing what i call "micro" pinstriping is tough. maybe try to do something on it that is more simple as with such a small area it is easy to clutter it up with too many lines

Boy, with one bike already sitting in a museum, I think this ones gonna be in the museum of drag racing. Very cool job Leigh! Hope ya bring it on Sunday.

XC204 said:
I missed the lighting pictures that's so nice and the pinstriping don't put yourself down its great. Oh did you know that you got one of your shoes in the photo............... :lol:

i only wear my high heels on sunday fo church. 8) 8)

i don't beat myself up over nothing. just live and learn. thats my motto!

already sanded down,painted it black and on to the next attemp.

i'm just gonna keep it simple this time around.

rob, sure am glad you chimed in, i totally forgot about sunday. :roll:

already sanded down,painted it black and on to the next attempt.

NO!!!!!!!!!

Thought it had a nice retro-script vibe to it!

Diatribe warning............

Sometimes we get caught up in the search for perfection when it's really not there. Yes, with the age of ready made graphics with their high level of accuracy we tend to expect view things a certain way. But that takes away from the artistic side of the builder. Preprogrammed graphics do work for some things (I like them on chain guards), though I was kinda' diggin' the cartooniness!

Good thing is you seem comfortable undoing your own work! :D

oh i love destroying my own work. :) it means i get to try again, and as a general rule, the more times i try,
the better i get. (practice goes along way) :)

i'm not looking for perfection, but i am quite aware of my skill level, and that was seriously under par. :)
being an artist i'm usually my own worst critic.
somethings i can let slide, but that attemp at pinstriping wasn't one of em.

i decided not to temp fate, and went with something a little simpler.
its not finished yet, but i like where its heading.
IMG_0084.jpg

i also had the time to paint the second wheelie bar. again both are still unfinished but looking good!
IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

nice! much better this time! :D but.. there's a black paint drip right above the bone. :p

wow! 21 pages to cover the build thus far. i figured an evil update is long overdue.
(just incase ya don't want to flip through 21 pages) :lol:

besides, i have a new camera to play with.
IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0093-1.jpg

IMG_0100-1.jpg

IMG_0089-1.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0104-1.jpg

still have a tonne of things to do,

lots of horror striping to do.
find the other 1/2 of the shorter crank.
mount the wheelie bar wheels.
powerplant.
deal with bars (paint,grips etc)
complete the steering tensioner
make new skull bolts (i some how miss placed them all and had to start making new ones)
finish wiring
polish rims
and the list go's on and on.

i'm sure some of you were wonder what the heck i was thinking when i started this build.
hopefully by now , you can see my ratty vision of a roth inspired wheelie bike with a horror theme, slowly coming to life.

Re: skull-o sis (evil update)

the devil IS in the details! :mrgreen: its comin together man, looks awesome.

Proof positive that you can never have too many skulls! :D

We're gonna change your name......ICUROCD2

Your bikes have SO MUCH detail and thought (that never ends)....You have to be OCD....Fess up! :lol:

Absolutely, hands down, the COOLEST looking (no frame mods) bike I've ever seen.

That thing is just awsome! I do like the less busy dashboard . What is the knob and rods in front of the seats do ? spring return on steering?

KOTA said:
We're gonna change your name......ICUROCD2

Your bikes have SO MUCH detail and thought (that never ends)....You have to be OCD....Fess up! :lol:

Absolutely, hands down, the COOLEST looking (no frame mods) bike I've ever seen.

ha ha ha thats too funny! had you of said A.D.D. my girl would have been the first to agree with you.
she says and i quote, i'm the guy with a 1001 hobbies and no real career. :) i bounce around from project to project
and usually have tonnes of stuff on the go. (which usually means theres numerous disasters in the house)
i'm sure she'd break out in dance if i started a project, and stuck with it till it was finished. (they all get finished, just in there own time)
i seem to jump into things with 2 feet, and when i'm satisfied with my understanding of set item/project/etc. i jump into the next thing with 2 feet. i just love learning new stuff.

its gotta be something i really enjoy to keep me hooked. bicycles just happen to be one of those things. :)

that rod/spring system is actually the tensioning system off the exercycle brakes (felt brake pads rubbed the flywheel)
i'm using it to allow me to increase/decrease spring tension on the steering. (springs that fight the bike earge to get squirrily)
it still needs a couple more springs and a few custom fabricated parts to allow it to really do its job and without shifting.

i'm just having too much fun with this build, so i don't mind the effort.

Dr. Icy,

Well it looks like we (and most likely a majority of the RRB members) share the same curse, A.D.D.

My wife calls me the 75% guy; that's how far I make it to completing most of my projects. That's why I am trying to stay with this build thang.

You build continues to amaze as the twist & turns she is taking. Digging it big time.

2dawgs said:
Dr. Icy,

Well it looks like we (and most likely a majority of the RRB members) share the same curse, A.D.D.

My wife calls me the 75% guy; that's how far I make it to completing most of my projects. That's why I am trying to stay with this build thang.

You build continues to amaze as the twist & turns she is taking. Digging it big time.

thx bro, ya know, doc icy is really growing on me. :)
75% guy, thats funny. i'm gonna have to tell the girlyfriend, she'll get a real kick outta that.

well its 5am, getting ready to head down to brantford for the vintage bicycle show.
i'm a hoping and praying i'll find a short raleigh crankarm :) (and hopefully a couple other bikes.)

if your going, i'll see ya there!

Hey Leigh, how about this crank set. Its not Raleigh so not sure if it will work. The crank axle these came off of was 5/8. If you can use them . they are yours fo fee :D plus shipping of coarse.
BrantfordVintageBikeShow051.jpg

Latest posts

Back