Skiptooth Chain.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the best way to open a Skiptooth Chain Link. I have put together a Schwinn and Only need to get the Chain on. I bought one from ebay but would like to know how to open it and put on without breaking it.

Thanks

If it does't have a master link then your best bet is to get a chain tool from your LBS. They are good to have around if you are going to be working on bikes. Don't waste your money on the ones at Walmart, you are lucky if they work for one chain.

heres what your looking for, on the right in the center of the chain,

most skip tooth chains ive looked at are riveted on, so your basic chain tool doesnt work on them.

IMG_2114.jpg

You have to flex the chain to compress the link. Then use a small flat nose to pop the plate off.

just grab the chain with both hands on each side of the master link and flex the chain sorta making the link flex away from you, you should be able to flick it off with your finger while still holding pressure on the chain, if they get stuborn on me, i just use a tiny flathead screwdriver to pop it off.

Back