skip tooth cog with a snap ring?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to put a skip tooth rear cog on a standard rear hub (the kind that usually requires a snap ring to hold the cog in place)... Were any skip tooth rear sprockets ever made for the snap ring type hubs or were they all made with the screw on lock ring?

I think there's one for sale on ebay that is made for that. Or find a regular cog with an even number of teeth and grind off every other tooth.

Well, I know for a fact that it WAS on ebay. I believe that the seller was either producing them or having them made elsewhere. They were new and made for use with the lockring. The ones they had pictured said Rollfast Lincoln Nebraska on them. Hopefully someone else will remember as well because i did a quick search with keywords that I usually type in and couldn't find it.

Grinding off every other tooth will work (sort of) but I do not recommend it. You have to realize that what we call 1" pitch is NOT one inch pitch! It is a combination of .4" pitch and .6" pitch, the drive teeth are .6" pitch with a completely different size and profile of tooth than you would use for a .5" pitch cog. An inch pitch chain run on a .5" pitch cog with every other tooth removed will be a very sloppy fit resulting in rapid chain and cog wear with noise to match. Sure many have done it, I would on a bike that may see very little mileage or use, but not on anything I cared about. N
None of this touches on the issue of chain width, which will be different.

Well, I'll be using it on a trike that won't see much use. If I can't come up with a better idea, I'll give it a shot. I really wanna keep the look of the skiptooth. Thanks!

I don't doubt that it will cause more wear. But I've been riding on my 49 schwinn straightbar for a couple years with this setup. It only sees maybe 15-20 miles a week though. But it doesn't make any extra noise, doesn't feel different, but I don't know how I would gauge the chain or cog wear unless I had taken a micrometer to some parts a couple years ago for a point of reference. If you decide to grind teeth, make sure you start with an even number of teeth, and possibly locate a replacement cog in case you ever want to put it back to normal.

Here is a Skippy 10 tooth cog I made today by taking every other tooth from a Bendix 20 tooth cog.
It's for a theme build that I'll be into next week and I'll keep u informed on how it works out.
The last photo compares the Slippy 10 to an original J.C.Higgins skiptooth cog and you can see the differences.
Skippy is a thin cog with pointed teeth in comparison to my Higgins.

sprocketbendix20.jpg

Grinder.jpg

skiptoothbendix10.jpg

skiptoothvsbendix10.jpg

Hope all this will help you
Charles

The bendix cogs like that are a little thicker than the cheaper cogs and will likely function better as a skiptooth as well. That's what kind I used. I haven't tried it with the cheaper ones.

Just to inform:
Been running the "Skippy" now for two days and it just keeps on getting smoother as the new build breaks in. I AM PLEASED WITH SKIP!

I found the guy on ebay (skiptooth2) that is the source of the new snap ring skip tooth cogs and got his last one, quality product, quick service. He is starting another run and I suggested he put a post on this site. The new cog is 1 tooth less than my original so I had to shorten my chain by one link.

GearheadJim said:
I found the guy on ebay (skiptooth2) that is the source of the new snap ring skip tooth cogs and got his last one, quality product, quick service. He is starting another run and I suggested he put a post on this site. The new cog is 1 tooth less than my original so I had to shorten my chain by one link.

Post a photo of it if you have time. Sounds like an excellent score!

They look like awesome quality. It might be cool if he could leave off the bike names screened onto the last run he had. After all, they do get used on bikes other than rollfasts. I'm curious what his price might be if he sold here without the ebay fees.

Charles said:
GearheadJim said:

Post a photo of it if you have time. Sounds like an excellent score!

It's the same one in the link by ozzmonaut a couple replys up. I believe it was under $20.

Latest posts

Back