Skip tooth chain breaker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well I was tired of doing it the hard way. Luckily my good friend is a machinist and his shop happens to be next door. He wanted a frame/fork that I had and I needed a easier way. Works like an absolute dream! Now to start putting all of the small chain pieces together!
-Kreep-

november071.jpg

NICE ^

Do they want to market some more of them?

I dread pounding out my S/L chain links with a BFH and a center punch on a block of wood.

He made this prototype for me as a favor. He said that he made blueprints for it because I said some folks might be interested in them. I told him I would let him know what the intrest is. For now I have seriuosly been using this thing non stop :D
-Kreep-

Is the block steel or aluminum? Looks aluminum and I tend to think that would wear out on the threads or crack the guide one day, but I'm wrong a lot.

Do skip tooth chains need a special breaker? Are they a different size somehow? I guess they must be. I haven't gotten to that bike yet.

A Skip is wider and wont fit even my Park chain breaker.

(the only 'breaker I never broke)...yet.

you can also buy a cheap chain breaker and modify it.

creatingaskiptoothchainbreaker.jpg

if for some reason it will not reach a regular size chain you can always cut a longer nail and replace the one on the breaker

yoothgeye said:
Is the block steel or aluminum? Looks aluminum and I tend to think that would wear out on the threads or crack the guide one day, but I'm wrong a lot.

Its made from D2 tool steel,I would never imagine using aluminum on these old chains,or new ones for that matter.

jackdaw said:
Do skip tooth chains need a special breaker? Are they a different size somehow? I guess they must be. I haven't gotten to that bike yet.

Yes they do. Skiptooth chains are wider as mentioned. Also the roller bushings are larger in diameter and skiptooth chains have two bushings next to each other. Essentially making a normal top of the line chain breaker useless on one.

axsepul said:
you can also buy a cheap chain breaker and modify it.

creatingaskiptoothchainbreaker.jpg

if for some reason it will not reach a regular size chain you can always cut a longer nail and replace the one on the breaker

Yes you could to that but I have broken countless numbers of those chain breakers on standard chains. Def. a way to do it on the cheap,I just wouldn't expect to get much use out of it on a 70 year old chain.

This is just the first one that he made to help me out.He is planing to make some slight alterations to it this afternoon. Hopefully be able to start with a small batch of them in the beginning of the new year.

He also made some precision cone locknut tools for the Bendix 2speed Automatic hubs.He has two extra of these that are for sale.

008-1.jpg

-Kreep-

I wouldn't "modify" your chain break tool like described in the above photo and still try to use it for regular chain. One of the tabs broke on my last chain tool and though it worked without the tab, it would easily mis-align and leave a tight spot in the chain, what a pain.

If you have an extra and you modify it to only use on skiptooth, I guess I can go along with that.

KREEP.Put ME down for one of those Skip Chain Breakers.

(If it looks and works as nice as the one you got.)

D2 should last for along time. Normally it's tough like boot leather. If it's heat treated to a 50 or 60 Rc, it's hard as diamonds. D2 is some of the most bad mama jama tool steel there is.

Hey fellas. Im taking note of who's interested and I am going to let him know. Will get a time frame and price and let all you guys know!
-kreep-

I want a skip tooth chain breaker when available And I'll buy the kickback tools now. Thanks Ed

Latest posts

Back