Silver Moon Velo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up-date June 11
Worked on putting in the jack shaft to link up the two cranks. Not finished but all I could do today. And had a blast at the Louisiana Bicycle Festival. Saw old friends and meet some new ones.
Check out 12volt and gang at Brooks Bike shop in Covington La.

And the owner Pat Brooks

So todays up-date

At the Abita Meet there was another Velo or pedal car. I looked it over--they did a very good job on the steering--used rack and pinion. But used sheet steel for the body(heavy) and the drive was not linked so each side was a separate bicycle. This type of drive is simple and works good if both pedal in union.
Here's the photo of their velocar---pretty good looking job

That reminds me of the old Paddy Wagon Hot Wheel I had as a kid.

TD%20paddy%20wagon%20HW%20loose.jpg

frameteam2003 said:
a V6? Cool C cab.

Yep... 3 litre Ford V6 out of a Mark 4 Zephyr. Diff was out of a Mark 3 Zephyr. Another car I wish I never got rid of... swapped it for a motorbike :roll:

I tried like all heck to get a original C cab from a old man, but he said it was spoken for and the guy promised to come get it. I told em I have cash right here right now, he was holdin. Gotta respect em for that, but I didn't get me my C cab. :(

Super cool build. Been wanting to do something similar for a few years. But short on time and space so it stays in the back of my mind.

up-date june 19
Installed the rear differential so both axels will drive and freewheel independently to corner. And naturally I got it in backward the first time. But now it's working correctly. The wife made a picket lunch for me too. Took it for a short test --the smallest chain in the set-up is the one giving trouble. It gets tight as you pedal. I'm not getting the nuts cinched tight enough I guess. but it does work, just more trouble shooting

Looking over your wife's head, it looks like you need to consider installing a roll cage. :p
Lots of cool engineering going on with this build.

kingfish254 said:
Lots of cool engineering going on with this build.
It's call trial and era--if it doesn't work--hack saw/grinder/and re-weld
So tomorrow I'll be re tooling where the intermediate rear hub will go. It didn't line up correctly and would not let the derailler work right. Also I need to add the idlers for the front chain.

Not as planned--up-date June 24
Had to rebuild the intermediate hub--the one I did came apart. O well--that's what rat rodding is all about.
But it's now re-made and ready to try....again!

Up-date June26. New shifter is in---works great. A big thanks to Uncle Stretch for the shifter topper idea. Check it out

Latest posts

Back