SILVER KING KUSTOM

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is an all alloy 1935 silver king frame that I've had for a while now but have been trying to work out what to
do with it. I love this frame so much that everything about it blows me away. especially the fact that it was built in '35.
so ahead of it's time. I want to give it a kustom feel but without ruining the frame at all! I may want to one day in the future
turn it back to standard form, so what ever I do has to be reversable.
monarkframe.jpg

this is all I got with the frame so it's missing a few bits...that's the main reason why [for now] I'm thinking kustom.
I have added the monark original springer forks for extra junk! check out the beautiful deco head stem that just needs chroming!
monarkstem.jpg

monarkheadtube.jpg

this bike is definately a keeper...one of those that you just hang on to. I've decided to give it a kustom treatment only because at
the moment i haven't got all the original parts for it to give it justice, the way it was originally designed. but I have decided that what ever
I do to it, it can be put back to original spec [if i wanted to].

Can't wait to see what you do with this beauty. :mrgreen:

this is a dummy set-up I did to see how it would look and how i can do it. the bike first came out with 24" wheels
but I'm going to run some 26" wheels with white brick tires.
monarkdummy.jpg

Important

I have an original Silverking 26x, and Silverkings are by far my favorite bikes, So I figured I'de give you a couple warnings about Silverkings (I hope I dont discourage your project.)

That bike is the model with the bult in leaf-spring and is probably the rarest model (next to the 26x) and I gaurentee this might be one of the rarest bikes you may ever own, unless you find a Bowden or a Hiawatha Arrow, or something sweet like that.What ever you do during this build is your choice and I dont want to discourage you, but please make everything 100% reversable,because this is a very rare bike. Also when you tighten things down keep in mind that these bikes are very rigid and prone to cracking, so please be careful!!.........now that Ive warned you enjoy your build!!

Such a cool frame/fork. Have fun building. I wonder if that rear leaf spring could be duplicated on a custom frame.

thanks for the info on the bike...i knew it was rare-ish but didn't realise that it was that hard to come by.
to put your mind at ease, i have great repect for this bike and will in no way ruin it today for a mild kustom
and not be able to return it to it's original glory! it will keep an eye out for the original parts so in hope that one
day i will be able to have it true to it's era.
i would love to see some pics of your silver king muslebikes...

I spotted a similar Monark this morning at an antique show, but I think it had a single upper top tube and was really clean. The dealer had just sold it for $400.

The chestnut hollow guy has the best sollection for silverkingparts.

i was going to use a 'used' brooks saddle but now have decided to make an alloy style saddle with
springs etc...that will end up being polished like the bike. here is what i've come up with so far...i still
have to finish the rear piece and smooth it all off, then shape it.
monarkseat.jpg

The Chestnut hallow guy's name is Jerry. I think he has a restored version of every model Silver King. Some really rare stuff. His phone number is 1-810-798-3158. I am not sure of his address but he does live in Leonard Michigan. He goes by 33kong on E-bay. If anyone is interested there is an antique shop by me that has an all original Silver King (different model than the one in this thread) for $800, complete with original light and the hanging tube for the batteries.

Back