Silver King build (did a little polishing)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I picked up this old girl at the bike show last week in Richmond Va. I bought the frame, forks and stem.
Then the fun of figuring out how to build her back.
img_3262.jpg

I decided to go with a skip tooth setup. I'm using a Musselman skip tooth hub, and aluminum rims to match the frame. I built the rear rim today.
img_3275.jpg

Rebuilt the peddles, cleaned and lubed the chain, and crank assembly.
img_3276.jpg

I bought the clay colored Duro's for my 36 CWC, not sure which bike will end up with the tires yet.
The frame will take a 26" tire, but the forks won't, I've got a set of 1930's 26" forks on the way.
Once the bike is built, I plan on taking the rims back apart and polishing the rims to match the frame.
Kenny

Re: Silver King build

The frame is from a 1937-1938 Monarch Silver King. Yes it's all aluminum except for the forks. The bike was originally made for 24" tires, but the frame will except 26" tires, the back tire is a 26". I had to buy 26" forks, the original 24" forks wouldn't take a 26" tire.
Currently she weighs 31lbs. Finished she should weigh in just under 40lbs.
img_3281.jpg

img_3282.jpg

Re: Silver King build (Went for a ride tonight.)

I got my 26" forks, I had to lengthen the threads on the steer tube.
After lacing the front rim, I took the old girl for a ride around the block tonight. She rode great.
She weighs 35lbs. I still have a few more things to do, polish the alum. rims, I have a truss coming and the handlebars are going to changed to aluminum cruiser bars.
Kenny
img_3283.jpg

img_3285.jpg

Re: Silver King build (went for a ride tonight)

I made a few adjustments to the old girl. Once my truss bars come in, then I can cut my steer tube to the correct length. Still need to clear coat the forks.
Kenny
img_3288.jpg

img_3287.jpg

img_3291.jpg

img_3292.jpg

img_3293.jpg

Did a little polishing on the aluminum frame. Very pleased with the results.
Kenny
img_3298.jpg

img_3296.jpg

img_3297.jpg

Looking good my friend.
Kenny

Back