Siezed Goose Neck

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before back the bolt for the goose neck out all the way and really screw my self over, I want to know if anyone else has experienced this.

The goose neck is sized up on my Schwinn American. It was like this when I found the bike 15 years ago. You can back the bolt up, smack it with a dead blow and it wont move. Twisting the bars wont do a thing either. I have tried penetrating oil too. I fear the only way this will ever come apart is with heat. And I don't want to do that. Anyone ever experienced this before?

I just went thru the same thing with my 41 western flyer. I tried everything I could think of... PB blaster, heat, hammers, leverage, punches, drills. Finally had to cut the top of the gooseneck off to get the fork out. Once I got the fork off the bike, I also had to cut the steer tube to get the rest of the neck out. Pretty brutal.

Good luck with it.

Not that it's funny, but this also happened to an American belonging to a friend of mine. After a few hours of sitting with a combo of WD and Triflow we had the crown of the fork wrapped in a rag and in a vise and with quite a bit of careful finessing the two of us wrenched it loose. It definitely was not easy. The stem ended up suffering a bit, but was one of those "pressed" Wald ones. I guess I would suggest the WD and Triflow, patience to let that stuff soak and some careful muscle. I've done the torch. It wasn't a heck of alot easier.

repeatedly saturate with penetrating oil over a period of days, and use a steel head instead of dead-blow hammer. It's probably bulged/bent/distorted as well as corroded, you might have to cut it.

It doesn't take alot of heat usually. Propane is often enough. Yes it can damage paint but I have never seen it discolor chrome. It is not that hot. However it may be the missing link for you. I would try it. It will boil the penetrating oil and make it wick down the steerer further also.

I had one on an old Phantom frame a while back, soaked in pb for day and it was still tight, so I got out my 3' pipe wrench and locked the fork in between my leggs with a 2x4 and popped it's neck out.

Latest posts

Back