side project: ratrod cruiser (done...! for now...)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a bike which i bought for about 45$, i've had it for a while now and i've decided to make some changes.
I'm gonna go for a cleaner look, maybe a little towards the rat rod style.
I'm will not tell what i'm gonna do more precisely, you will simply have to wait and see ;)

here's a pic of the bike how it looks in it's original appearance
biltema.jpg

that's all for now, will hopefully post something new pretty soon :)

// Rasmus

Re: side project: ratrod cruiser

first update came earlier then expected... :)
what i've done?
i've been wrapping handlebar tape along the bar and i've also fliped the bar so it's upside down
hope you like it

styre.jpg

styre1.jpg

hmmm, nice rake. bike lookin real good. man that paint is soooo clear and the wheels, what can I say.

Outlaw :p

been busy working for a couple of weeks now but still i've got a little further with this bike :)

what i've done?
painted the frame...

it's now all black :)

allblack-1.jpg

...matte black

matte.jpg

sadly, the paint is very breakable. You don't have to do much to get a mark on the frame. I've learned that, the hard way...
will probably put some extra layer of clearcoat on it and hope that it will make the paint a litte more resistans :)

bonus pic of the rack i was using when i painted the frame...
does it look stable? :p

black.jpg

that's all for now :)

// Rasmus

Heeeyy ett Biltema projekt! Ska bli kul å se vad man kan göra med en sån. But doesn't a lot of mosquitoes get stuck in the paint when painting it outdoors?

Stenberg said:
Heeeyy ett Biltema projekt! Ska bli kul å se vad man kan göra med en sån. But doesn't a lot of mosquitoes get stuck in the paint when painting it outdoors?

kul med lite mer svenskar på forumet :)
well it was a little bit windy where i was standing so the paint went absolutely perfect execpt that it comes of to easy :/
as i mentioned i will try painting it with another layer of clearcoat, or maybe two...

been making some progress on the bike. Been lowering the seatpost and also found a way to move back the saddle a little further (pics coming up soon hopefully)

// Rasmus

pretty large update coming right at you! :)

told you i've been cutting the seatpost and here's some pics of that:

the original (taped back together since i forgot to take a pic before i cut it of)
b775336b.jpg

when cut of
f8cbd9bc.jpg

and the new opening i cut out to be able to press it together to hold the saddle in place
0d1ab83a.jpg

moving on to what i've made to be able to move back the saddle a little further:

this is how far back you could move it before
9c17e0f1.jpg

and this is the original appearance
ca970819.jpg

but after cuting some edges away and turned it upside down...
378263aa.jpg

...you could now move it back this far
32cc33aa.jpg

i know it's not much of a change but you get the idea. I will probably cut away some more to be able to move it even further back :)

bonus pic!!
been creating a framefiller in a black tinted plexiglass :)
1cb7aa7b.jpg

hope you like everything :)

// Rasmus

BELIEVE IT OR NOT I WAS JUST DISCUSSING THIS WITH SOMEONE AND YOU DID IT!! THE PLEXI GLASS TANK. THANKS!! DREAMS DO COME TRUE :mrgreen: NOW...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Jake Sensi said:
BELIEVE IT OR NOT I WAS JUST DISCUSSING THIS WITH SOMEONE AND YOU DID IT!! THE PLEXI GLASS TANK. THANKS!! DREAMS DO COME TRUE :mrgreen: NOW...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

at first i was gonna build a tank in a dark kind of wood when i all of a sudden came across a piece of tinted plexi which was lying in our garage and the moment i saw that i just felt like i was more or less forced to try building the tank of it, and as you could see it turned out just fine (it looks awesome on the bike aswell) :D

// Rasmus

scrumblero said:
no i dont see!! show us!!

i'm about to repaint the frame so atm it doesn't look good at all when it's mounted on the frame :p
will post a pic of how it looks on the frame as soon as i'm done with the paint on the frame, and that's a promise :)

as i told the paint on the frame comes of easy so i bought another kind of paint to use on the fork and if it shows that this paint works better and keep in place i will buy more of that and repaint the frame aswell...

pic of the fork when i've painted it with primer, will go on with the actual paint tomorrow if i get some time over during the day :)

3484f9db.jpg

let's hold our thumbs this paint will work :)

// Rasmus

been putting on the black paint on the fork today
let's hope this will work!

b742048e.jpg

hard to get a pic that shows how matte the paint is but here's a try

d5a9766e.jpg

clearcoating it tomorrow :)

// Rasmus

final mockup done...

didn't get the result i was hoping for with the new paint on the fork. it did became a bit more resistant that the paint i used on the frame but it was not enough difference to make it worth repainting the whole frame aswell.
i will just leave it with this ...... paint and ride it for a while and when the time feels right maybe i sand it down at let it rust or something like that. anyways, here you have the bike. hope you like it :)

6e4e62f4.jpg

20bb4027.jpg

eef97d07.jpg

that's all for now, tell me what you think

// Rasmus

GREAT JOB!! TANK CAME OUT NICE!! GREAT MINDS DO THINK ALIKE HUH?!? :wink: PEACE

Looks cool, dude ! How about a goal for next year, a 3-speed hub and black (or any colour) rims? Then it would look and ride even better, I think. Enjoy !!!

wimpy said:
Looks cool, dude ! How about a goal for next year, a 3-speed hub and black (or any colour) rims? Then it would look and ride even better, I think. Enjoy !!!

will probably not do to much more to this bike as it's just a temporarily bike that i will use untill i'm done with my schoolproject is done :)
I totaly agree with you tho that black rims would look really good but as it didn't go to well with the painting of the frame i kind of got bored of painting and therefore the rims is still not painted :p

Latest posts

Back