Sid (finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a hard call to make on how to approach cleaning up the chain guard and I rolled the dice. In the end, I decided to place it face down in the OA bath and closely monitor the progress. However, after the first half hour, I took it out to check things and quickly realized that the graphics were breaking down faster than the rust. So as gently as possible I rinsed it clean of the acid, dried it, and set it aside while I finished the other parts.

View attachment 248668

Hindsight now tells me that it would have been better to have preserved the graphics at all costs, but that option was gone. So to salvage what I could, I masked off the area and locked in what was left with clear paint. I wasn't sure if that would even work either because the decal was so deteriorated that it would literally rub off just by touching it. The clear did seal what was left but there was a good bit lost. 😞

View attachment 248669

After it was safe to handle it again I worked on removing as much of the rust as I could from the surrounding chrome and backside with Navel Jelly. Afterwards, the whole thing got a rub with linseed oil and sadly that's as far as I could take it.

View attachment 248670
View attachment 248671

The chain guard is a big part of the personality of these bikes so I would be lying if I didn't admit my disappointment in the result. I'm hoping that when all of the parts are reunited it will at least blend into the whole picture and will not stand out too much.😞
You might try removing the BLO and then rubbing some acrylic outdoor/waterproof paint into the guard where you need to bring back some of that original color. Hobby Lobby or Michael's has a pretty good color selection to choose from to pick a close match.

I had a hard call to make on how to approach cleaning up the chain guard and I rolled the dice. In the end, I decided to place it face down in the OA bath and closely monitor the progress. However, after the first half hour, I took it out to check things and quickly realized that the graphics were breaking down faster than the rust. So as gently as possible I rinsed it clean of the acid, dried it, and set it aside while I finished the other parts.

View attachment 248668

Hindsight now tells me that it would have been better to have preserved the graphics at all costs, but that option was gone. So to salvage what I could, I masked off the area and locked in what was left with clear paint. I wasn't sure if that would even work either because the decal was so deteriorated that it would literally rub off just by touching it. The clear did seal what was left but there was a good bit lost. 😞

View attachment 248669

After it was safe to handle it again I worked on removing as much of the rust as I could from the surrounding chrome and backside with Navel Jelly. Afterwards, the whole thing got a rub with linseed oil and sadly that's as far as I could take it.

View attachment 248670
View attachment 248671

The chain guard is a big part of the personality of these bikes so I would be lying if I didn't admit my disappointment in the result. I'm hoping that when all of the parts are reunited it will at least blend into the whole picture and will not stand out too much.😞
I can make that decal water transfer would probably work. Or sublimation it'll fit in an oven

I think any option you take other than what you have done will be overkill. In it's current state, it matches the patina and the "feel" of the project with it's originality. I would call it good and move on. It looks so much better than when you started! Like you said, going any further would be a rabbit hole.

You might try removing the BLO and then rubbing some acrylic outdoor/waterproof paint into the guard where you need to bring back some of that original color. Hobby Lobby or Michael's has a pretty good color selection to choose from to pick a close match.
I can make that decal water transfer would probably work. Or sublimation it'll fit in an oven
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I'm done with the chainguard. It was never an option to paint or add anything to it. My goal is simple; to clean and service the bike back to riding condition. Cosmetically I'm doing the best that I can with what is there. There will be a few minor replacements as needed, but in the end, I plan for it to be as close to all original as possible.

I think any option you take other than what you have done will be overkill. In it's current state, it matches the patina and the "feel" of the project with it's originality. I would call it good and move on. It looks so much better than when you started! Like you said, going any further would be a rabbit hole.

Exactly.

Looking good! The before and after shots are quite dramatic. It's too bad about the decal on the chainguard but you caught it in time I think. There's still enough of it there and it does match the rest of the bike. I really like the process here. It's cleaning up nice while retaining the original personality of the bike. I don't know what it would cost to rechrome this bike but not cheap for sure. Very cool build, love this bike!

I haven't been able to do anything with Sid for almost a week and probably won't be back on it until next week.

I stuck the stem and bars on it this past weekend to be able to roll it around more easily so I thought it would be a good time for a progress picture.

IMG_6190.JPG

IMG_6191.JPG

Again, the OA bath did wonders on the chrome!
Here's where it started:

IMG_5599.5.JPG

Unfortunately, the original saddle is pretty rough. I really want to use it but don't want to recover it. I'd like to find a replacement in used but better condition.

I do have this silver Troxel and might use it as a stand-in until a good gold sparkle like the original magically appears.

IMG_6236.JPG

IMG_6238.JPG

Wow, a banana seat that actually looks like a banana...that's a couple days over ripe.
I think that comment is all I needed to hear to convince me to use it as is! :thumbsup: Thanks!

Sid has not gotten any attention for over a couple of weeks now.

There have been a few reasons but one of them is that I have been attempting to organize my bike addiction (hoarding) which has effectively transformed my workshop into a storage building. Any of you with too many fenders and wheel sets can understand the difficulty in storing them. This simple solution moved them from several clumsy stacks to a single row up close to the ceiling and out of the way.

IMG_6254.JPG

This is free standing but it could be constructed against a wall also.

I know that the better solution is to start thinning the stash. But until then, this buys me a little more space and time.

I also bought some stackable totes to separate and store groups of parts like seats, chainguards, handlebars, etc.

View attachment 249830

Before I had various cardboard boxes that were difficult to organize and access.
Good work on getting the bike part hoarding at least organized
🤣

I reorganize, then I build something and make a big mess spread things around, and then put off reorganizing again.

Time for me to get everything back into the bike shed by the end of the month l, before i lose a hand.

Surgery at the end of this month to rebuild a thumb joint due to arthritis. 12 weeks imobilized/recovery before i have my left hand back.
IMG_2868.jpeg
Like this ? I had surgery done on my basal joint two weeks ago due to arthritis. I get the stitches out this coming Monday, then a splint, and physical therapy after 6 weeks. I’m hoping it works as good as the surgeon claims. Good luck with your surgery !

View attachment 249881Like this ? I had surgery done on my basal joint two weeks ago due to arthritis. I get the stitches out this coming Monday, then a splint, and physical therapy after 6 weeks. I’m hoping it works as good as the surgeon claims. Good luck with your surgery !
Just like that. I hope it works well after also. Right hand will follow if it does. I don't know how many bike wrecks as a kid that I landed on and hurt the ball of my hands. I figure that's part of the cause now.

Back