Should I paint it

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a western flyer today. It's really rusty and I can barely see the old paint job. I like the patina. But I don't know if the bikes worth painting or if it'll just look cooler as a ratrod... The spokes are literally rusting through and the tires are about as good as rubber bands over metal and it needs new tubes, so once I get some new parts on it it could look weird if the frame was still rusty. Or it could look great. What do u guys think?

Rub it down with some PB Blaster and leave as-is....don't paint.

Adding an assortment of a few new parts, tires, etc. against original patina = uber cool! 8)

Noo leave it and put a bunch of shiny chrome stuff the contrast is amazing don't forget pics!!

Pics would help... but I would say rat it. Leave the frame as-is, with the PB Blaster trick, and replace the wheels and maybe grips and seat depending. Make sure you overhaul the bottom bracket and ensure the chain is good... and there you go!

remember,it's only original once. 8)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=59532&hilit=+Patina

Here's a write up I did on a product called "Loctite extend rust neutralizer" it works wonders at getting color back and removing a little patina but not totally wrecking the patina.

Back