Should have done my homework

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CeeBee said:
Well we now know half the trade. And I don't see any misrepresentation. What did Outskirts get? If it was a Hex Tube Monark or an Evinrude I guess I could see a complaint. :D 24" or 26" either way that bike is pretty cool!
I got the blue bike and $20 for the other two.

Uncle Stretch said:
I saw a guy at a gun show buy a double barrel shotgun for $250 and then took it to another
table and sold it for $2000. I asked if he felt like he took advantage of the guy he bought it from.
He said it wasn't his job to teach the guy how to price his stuff.

this ^

I got confused too. I thought we were talking about a $14,000 20 ounce carbon fiber road bike.
This is kinda like me waiting in line for 20 minutes at the grocery store and the guy in front is
arguing with the cashier over a 20 cent mistake on his bill. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

just so i got this straight...
the trade was ONE crusty old LADIES bike for a newer BOYS canti frame/fork combo AND and RIDEABLE girls bike?
sounds like a fair enuff trade to me.
i trade or give away stuff like that all the time.
heck! i usually THROW AWAY stuff like that :p

beatcad said:
just so i got this straight...
the trade was ONE crusty old LADIES bike for a newer BOYS canti frame/fork combo AND and RIDEABLE girls bike?
sounds like a fair enuff trade to me.
i trade or give away stuff like that all the time.
heck! i usually THROW AWAY stuff like that :p

The trade was ONE crusty old LADIES bike AND $20 for a newer BOYS canti frame/fork combo WITH PARTS AND and RIDEABLE girls bike MINUS BRAKES AND SHIFTER /CABLE.

CeeBee said:
Outskirt, you really need to do your homework so you don't get ripped off again! :D :D
I don't consider it getting ripped off, I got to meet a cool member and to me that is worth more than all 3 bikes combined.

outskirtscustoms said:
CeeBee said:
Outskirt, you really need to do your homework so you don't get ripped off again! :D :D
I don't consider it getting ripped off, I got to meet a cool member and to me that is worth more than all 3 bikes combined.

I think thats exactly how I would feel too!

I don't see what was wrong with the trade, man I wish I could find someone around here willing to part with a frame for $20! If the trade was made in person, you could have always walked away without anything if you felt it wasn't fair. You must have felt that it was a good trade when you were there, right? Maybe later, when you were trying to work on it, you hit a few snags or bumps in the road and had buyer's remorse? It's a rat rod bike, not an exact science. This is how we learn and innovate. We hit a problem and then figure out a work around (buying fenders and then they not fitting perfectly). I just finished my first bike build and yes, it wasn't as smooth as I pictured it in my head, but in the end I got a sweet bike out of it. I'm sure you can still make some sweet bikes out of what you got.

Im sorry if i wasted peoples time. I felt like i was taken advantage of as a newbie. Yes it was in person and not alot of money and i could have walked away. My main point of starting this was to make sure what you are told is right.... "Do your homework". I guess i should not have made the topic about the trade i made but rather the ethics of selling and caution of buying.

$20 for a bike was a great deal but i was told it was a Schwinn. I still would have bought it if he said he wasn't sure but it does have schwinn grips.

Also the swap was from another post where i was thinking about putting 24" rims on a 26" bike. People were suggesting to keep looking for a 24" bike and i decided to go that rout. He contacted me and said he has a 24" bike and would trade the bike i had for it. Yes it is a real cool bike but again it was not what he told me. Outskirt posted "I assumed was a 24" due to how the 24" wheels fit". I put 26" wheels on the bike to make sure and they fit with out a gap.

Dollar for dollar bike for bike everything was fine im just unhappy with both bikes not being what i was told. Yes it was my fault for not looking into things and just trusted someone on their word. Ive been in sales a long time and know you have to be factual and if your not sure you cant just say what you think it could be.

This was not a post to go after another member but to let newbies know to do research or bring someone that know more than you do about bikes.

No hard feelings man I admit I'm not an expert and I try my best to represent things accurately but I sometimes make mistakes as we all do. I'll make it a mental note that I owe you a favor and a better deal next time. :wink:

one thing that i think would alleviate some of the bad deals is if the sellers on this site would adhere to the moderator's rules and ACCEPT PAYPAL. A number of the sales i was interested in would only take a money order, and in the moderator's forum, it expressly states to do business w/Paypal. of course, it's a free country...

samquint said:
one thing that i think would alleviate some of the bad deals is if the sellers on this site would adhere to the moderator's rules and ACCEPT PAYPAL. A number of the sales i was interested in would only take a money order, and in the moderator's forum, it expressly states to do business w/Paypal. of course, it's a free country...

I agree. I do preferred to receive and send payments thru paypal but will always do money orders or cash if someone prefers. That's USPS money orders not the ones sold on some store!

slowriderz said:
seems like a legit trade to me. Especially if it was conducted in person. Both parties had full choice of refusal at that time. I have been doing trades like that for years.
but maybe someone with a bit more experience / knowledgeable took advantage of a newbie...

samquint said:
I will not do paypal.. its not fool proof... and been more than one story of peeps getting ripped off and paypal drops
the ball. you send me an address ... I will send you MO right away... not to a p o box..

I live in a small town in an area where the mail man doesn't come by unless I place a mailbox to far away from the house so a PO BOX is the only way to go for me.

Henry morgan said:
samquint said:
I will not do paypal.. its not fool proof... and been more than one story of peeps getting ripped off and paypal drops
the ball. you send me an address ... I will send you MO right away... not to a p o box..

Agreed 10000000000%

This is a hobby to all of us, some people make money at it, but it's still just a hobby. I think we've pretty much gotten rid of all the people who are ONLY here for money and don't care about the bikes.

That being said, we are all just hobbyists, not experts, and I think even the guys on here who you might look toward as an expert would correct you. Therefore, do your homework (like the thread was originally started for). In the end, you are the one who let that money out of your hands, it's not the seller's fault, not the forum's fault, not the fault of your mom who spanked you too much or not enough.

Live and learn.

I think all of us have similar stories about spending too much on that "first bike."

Back