Shopping this morning

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The university surplus store here in IC is selling abandoned bikes today. Mostly a mixed bag of weathered mountain bikes, but I did pick up two bikes for projects. One was a Pacific-built Schwinn Jaguar 7 (IIRC??) speed, which I plan to use as my daily rider this winter and then rod out this spring.

The other was an off-brand 26-inch coaster-brake bike sans bars, which had some decent aluminum wheels which I'm going to put on a 60's Schwinn Typhoon.

$40 for both of them.

Pics of these and some of my other bikes to come this weekend. (hopefully)

Quick pics from this afternoon.

The Schwinn:
jaguarpc9.jpg

As I said, I think I'll ride this one this winter, then make a rod from it in the spring. Might have to add a banana seat because the length from headtube to seatpost seems pretty short. It's a seven speed, which I think will be cool for a rodded bike.

The other (a Cyclepro Coronado -- pure quality):

silverip1.jpg

This thing has the oddest-shaped seat I've maybe ever seen on a bike. It's very square-ish and big. I've already robbed the wheels for my rat (which I'll post in the pictures forum), so it's now a frame sitting in my garage. Could be a future project, but I doubt it.

Iowacity,

The 7 speed with a banana seat is a great choice. I did one of ours that way with a springer fork, high back sissy bar, apes, bow pedals, front and rear v brakes and a shifter mounted on the cantilever tube. We named it the Krate XL.

Oh and my favorite feature is the pair of Bontrager Hank tires I found. Very fat, slicks and white lettered, very 70's hotrod looking. They're available with a red stripe also.

I'm sure you'll make something cool out of it.

62Higgins said:
Oh and my favorite feature is the pair of Bontrager Hank tires I found. Very fat, slicks and white lettered, very 70's hotrod looking. They're available with a red stripe also.

Just did a search for those tires. They look sweet. I think I may have seen those on a bike here in town not too long ago.

They ride and roll real nice.

I'm pretty sure that they're rated to 80 psi. And with no tread on them they're super fast and super quiet.

Dual compound too, harder in the center for durability and softer on the edges for grip. Very nice stuff.

Latest posts

Back