Shop Rod.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,
It's English summer time and the sun is high in the sky, so it's high time to wheel this out. I call it the Shop Rod, amongst other things.

Just a boring note on the aesthetic I was aiming at here. In the same way that Austin 7 hot rods never look as good as Model A hot rods to my mind, it seemed that an English 3 speed shopping bike wouldn't look quite as good 'rodded up as something like a Roadmaster would, so I tried to go a little more English, or European at best. Bulking it up but keeping the basic outline the same. More like an AC Ace becoming a Shelby Cobra if you will! Hence we have my mum's old 1960s shopping bike, which my dad rescued from a skip and repainted a lovely maroon colour, before making it rideable for her. The drum brakes it came with were always a bit iffy, so they've been replaced with a coaster brake on the rear and a Raleigh slimline front hub from a 1950s Lenton ladies. The rack was originally on the rear, but I swapped it onto the front. Front rim is a Mavic XM317 Disc, 32 hole, laced two cross, rear rim is an Alex DH, 36h, laced three cross. The rear tyre literally has a couple of mm clearance, but I didn't want to start doing frame modifications as I wanted to keep the colour and an aspect of my dad's handiwork. The handlebar is a Dutch upright jobby which I flipped over. Crank, bb, seatpost and saddle all original equipment. Unfortunatley the light currently doesn't work, but I loved the look and rusty finish. It came off my auntie's dads 1930s Raleigh tourer which she gave to me last year and which is currently on the back burner to be finished.

Anyway, hope you like it and thanks for taking the time to look, and, if you got this far, read!

D.

Nice lookin shop bike....In begs for a rear Red Rack to match the nice front one..
I'd ditch the dice though, it takes my eye away from the design...

Nice lookin shop bike....In begs for a rear Red Rack to match the nice front one..
I'd ditch the dice though, it takes my eye away from the design...

Thanks for the comments. Those dice do take some cleaning to keep them white, I may well remove them!
D.

Looks good. It looks older than a 60's bike with the bolt through the seat stays and rear dropouts. Looking forward to your 30's Raleigh build.

I like it, even the dice are cool.... the frame has a lot of nice details (rearward facing track-end style drop-outs, nice plain lugs, and the bolt at the seat cluster would theoretically allow belt-drive, not that i'd recommend it.) The only thing that bothers me is, the handlebar makes my back hurt just from looking at it. So low, and yet so close to the saddle laterally.... How do you sit in the saddle while grabbing he grips, without kneeing yourself in the chest and hunching your back at our shoulders?

Looks good. It looks older than a 60's bike with the bolt through the seat stays and rear dropouts. Looking forward to your 30's Raleigh build.

Thankyou, the Raleigh will be a while coming and as it's 100% original and 90% salvagable will be a straight up restoration.
The position on this is a trifle cramped but the price of speed is high...
D.

Does the rain stop and the sun actually come out over there in the summer? :D I like the same things Bicycle808 mentioned about the frame, the lugs and rear drop outs. That bolt through the seat stays for the seat clamp is really different. I normally don't care much for large front racks on bikes but the way you did that rack looks really nice on the front of the bike. Can you give us a pick of the head-badge. We can only see a side glance of it now and it looks interesting.

Back