SHOP RAT FROM LAS VEGAS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. This is my first rat bike. I didn't really have an idea in mind but I was watching The World's Fastest Indian (if you haven't seen it, i highly recommend it!) and i found some inspiration towards what i ended up with. So i just kind of went after it! Here's what i started with:
102_6452.jpg

Just an old beater bike I picked up local off of Craigslist for $50 (Cruisers are a little harder to find out here in Vegas).
I then decided I wanted to fill the frame and i decided i would just use good old wood.
102_6553.jpg

So i cut up an old peice of pine i had laying around and fitted it in and then i flipped the bars.
And in the mean time i also ran across an old PurLux Fog light that was made to fit in the bumper of a semi truck. I had it sittin on the shelf in the tool room and decided it was just what i needed. So i fabbed up the old bracket to make it fit my neck.
102_6571.jpg

After i got the wood to fit "good enough" i took it back out and i distressed it with a pocket knife and then i soaked the wood in dilluted black paint ('lot cheaper than wood stain!) to give it that ol' fashioned used look. Then i strapped it on the frame with some leather string.
102_6567.jpg

My local bike shop has a used bike part bin that happened to have a pretty worn Brooks Saddle laying in it for $10. I didn't argue price, i just drooled and pulled my wallet out. :lol:
102_6570.jpg

I cleaned out the black paint can i used for the wood with some good old diesel :idea: and decided to use it as a saddle bag. But i needed a way to easily acces the can without carrying a flat head with me to pop the top! So i poked a couple holes and ran a spring internally from the lid to the bottom of the can, now i can just grad the lid and rotate it out of the way for access and it still seals snug.
102_6568.jpg

102_6569.jpg

102_6572.jpg

I also switched out the black tire with a WALMART special (BELL Streamliner smoothie) and i kept the old knobby up front.
102_6564.jpg

I didn't take as many pictures as i wanted throughout the whole process. Mainly because i didn't think it would make it to the forum being how most of my projects fail to be completed! :wink: But anyway, I'm pretty happy with the way this one turned out. There's still a hand full of things I need to do to it. I need to figure out the best way to power my light. I removed the old bulb already. So i will probably just use a LED flashlights guts and wire up a switch (one of these days). And in the future I may change the paint. Maybe i'll strip it and let it get nice and rusty :p . Otherwise I may do a gloss black or a dark green. We'll see! I don't consider any of my projects completely finished. Thanks for looking!
-Erick (rookie rat maker)
102_6573.jpg

102_6575.jpg

* For some reason my pictures are too big, but i guess it's okay.

Wow :!: :!: :!: ...for a rookie rat maker, you sure have a lot of nice industrial toys in your shop :D Very nice bike, I like it.

Thanks! My dad used to make wheels for hot rods in LA, so we've got a good collection of machine tools. Now it's up to me to put them to good use!

Thanks!! I was going to just bolt on an antique door knob, but i thought it might not work out, 'might be too heavy or dent up the cap.. The spring probably wasn't the cleanest choice, but it accomplished functionality! :p

@ Gold Street : Thanks a lot!
@ Dr. Tank : I actually didn't like that tire at all. I was just in a hurry to swap out the rear tire one night and i was limited on supply for smoothies, so i just settled with it. But i actually like it now, especially for the price. I i'd recommend it.

EFISH said:
@ Dr. Tank : I actually didn't like that tire at all. I was just in a hurry to swap out the rear tire one night and i was limited on supply for smoothies, so i just settled with it. But i actually like it now, especially for the price. I i'd recommend it.

Thanks dude, I may have to stash a pair. I saw some on a bare metal girls frame (on here, i think) and they looked pretty cool.

BTW, I forgot to tell you how much i like this bike :oops: The huge headlight is awesome and I really like the paint can 'saddle bag' too.

Great work!

Dr. T

Nice bike, I'm diggin' the headlight! Glad to see someone has tried the Bell tires. I bought a pair for my Rat build, because I thought they looked cool. I've got them on the rims, but the bike is in pieces .

Since i still need a way to power my headlight and i wanted a tail light.. I decided to pull the paint can off the back and replace it with a different paint can... :p I buffed the can up with a wire wheel to give it a little character and i stuffed a 6 volt battery inside of it that i got out of a floating plastic lantern light from LOWES for $4. i then wired the battery to a toggle switch and mounted the switch to the can.

I found a cool old light ( a glass one) that came off a semi truck and i made a bracket out of scrap piece of metal and mounted this coool light to the can. I replaced the bulb with a 6 volt bulb and ran another wire off the switch out of the can that will feed the headlight(eventually). I wanted to go with LED bulbs, but i'm too broke to buy them! I will eventually convert them though! I strapped this can under my seat, centered over the rear wheel and I really like the way it turned out!

Here's my progress!

102_6589.jpg

102_6590.jpg

102_6591.jpg

102_6593.jpg

102_6594.jpg

Latest posts

Back