Shimano CB e110 question..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, hoping someone can help out with a question/ problem..
Im rebuilding a Shimano CB e110 coaster brake..
I cleaned and greased everything and put it back together..
It spins fine, but when i pedal it’s making a pinging sound at a slow pace and a buzzing at a high pace.
I took it apart again and everything appears to be in good working order. I also verified my work and everything was in the correct orientation.
I believe its the spring inside the clutch making the noise..
Am I correct? Or could it be something else?
IMG_4099.jpeg
IMG_4098.jpeg

I just had an almost identical problem with an el cheapo coaster brake off a dept store bike. It wasn’t shimano. It was labeled YCC China (if I recall). Was making a terrible grinding sound. Took it apart cleaned it, regreased, put it all back together. Still made the terrible sound. The spring just didn’t seem to fit properly. I couldn’t quite figure it out, but it was obvious something was wrong with the spring. Maybe the springs just get deformed over time? The root cause is the bike I was working on costs $99 new. Which means Walmart buys it for $50, which means it probably costs $30 to manufacture. Unfortunately that’s the world we live in. Producing garbage to make a buck. Can’t save em all. And it validates our love for vintage bikes that were built to last forever.

also I have a CB e110 that I salvaged and will never use. If you want it for parts, it’s yours. Just reimburse me for shipping.

I have not opened it up. Looks fine from the outside.

Also happy to just send you the spring.

IMG_3493.jpeg

thanks so much for the offer! I have already ordered a replacement clutch, $11 on eBay.. figured It was worth a try at that price..and honestly cannot think of anything else it could be.
Wouldnt normally spend this much effort but my youngest daughter and her husband want these bikes (there were 2 on the curb), so I’m trying to at least get them running smoothly.
IMG_4011.jpeg

They look very similar to the bike I was having CB issues with. Taking all the stickers off goes a long way to making them look cool. I wound up painting mine and putting on some new parts. I had a nice used 3 speed nexus wheelset. I am sure I put more money and effort into it than it is worth new. Belongs to a good friend of mine. She was thrilled with the results. It was unrideable when I got it. Looks like a completely different bike. And now that it is tuned up properly it is a blast to ride.

Have fun!

302036C1-5E43-40F8-B1B6-57BD6D376A75.jpeg

They look very similar to the bike I was having CB issues with. Taking all the stickers off goes a long way to making them look cool. I wound up painting mine and putting on some new parts. I had a nice used 3 speed nexus wheelset. I am sure I put more money and effort into it than it is worth new. Belongs to a good friend of mine. She was thrilled with the results. It was unrideable when I got it. Looks like a completely different bike. And now that it is tuned up properly it is a blast to ride.

Have fun!

View attachment 249060
yeah, that looks great!
here’s the blue one as she sits right now..
I haven’t even started the black one yet.
IMG_4120.jpeg

That’s looking great! I like the white chain and the blue rims. My opinion is less is more. Looks much better without the fenders. I would consider deleting the chain guard too. Show off the white chain on top of the cool chainring.

I had a modern coaster that made a sound even when rebuilt and fully lubed. It turned out to be chatter on the inside brake surface of the hub. You can kind of feel the uneveness from the tool chatter when the hub ID was machined.

That’s looking great! I like the white chain and the blue rims. My opinion is less is more. Looks much better without the fenders. I would consider deleting the chain guard too. Show off the white chain on top of the cool chainring.
I tried to delete the chain guard, lol, the soon to be owner wanted to keep it.
Its a neat bike..the rims are old Sumo’s, definitely not from the factory.. missing one spoke.
The chain ring was pretty rough and unfortunately the only rust stop paint I had was crackle black..as soon as I mated it to the crank I knew I should’ve used another color (Still might💁)
The frame is actually pretty nice with decent welds and it’s surprisingly light.

Attachments

• IMG_4100.jpeg
    IMG_4100.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4106.jpeg
    IMG_4106.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4031.jpeg
    IMG_4031.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I had a modern coaster that made a sound even when rebuilt and fully lubed. It turned out to be chatter on the inside brake surface of the hub. You can kind of feel the uneveness from the tool chatter when the hub ID was machined.
Good tip, will definitely investigate inside the hub. I didn’t notice anything obvious during clean up but I wasn’t really looking in there either so this is a possibilit.

Happy to report the new clutch solved the pinging/buzzing issue 👍👍

The offending part, no idea why it was making noise.

IMG_4218.jpeg

And both bicycles in their final form per new owners specs.
The Onex needed a new bottom bracket and chain. I could’ve spent more time cleaning up the spokes but everything works properly…smooth and quiet.
The kids actually love them, I was expecting a luke warm response being curb finds and all- but they’re legitimately happy.
So great project overall👍👍
Thanks for the help, you guys are the best.
IMG_4211.jpeg

IMG_4215.jpeg

Back