Shelby Flyer and huffy Pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i went for the trade for the 50's shelby for some pinstripe work well my friend showed up with not just the shelby but with a huffy girls bike 3 speed brakes etc ..i did not know the huffy was part of the deal but he said i could have it b/c the bearings needed to be replaced on the shelby . so now im up to 7 bikes parents arent to thrilled but oh well atleast im not doing drugs haha

so the paint is awesome on the bike i need to do the bottom bracket bearings, put a chain on it . would love to flip the bars , i FIT on it lol tires hold air , would love to make a tank/insert for it ..

the huffy has a internal 3 speed hub but its a road bike is there any way i can use that hub on my balloon tire bikes?
motorcyclegarageshelby049.jpg

greg brought them over in his chevy truck .. he's petting my dog max while dad is giving me the evil stare lol
motorcyclegarageshelby050.jpg

motorcyclegarageshelby051.jpg

motorcyclegarageshelby057small.jpg

Coll bikes! The Shelby is real nice. If you want to find a tank, I believe that is a CWC made frame and that a factory tank should be really easy to find. If it's a 26 inch bike, the tank from a Roadmaster luxury liner and some Hawthornes or Hiawathas of the same year and manufacturer will fit this frame perfectly.

the huffy has a internal 3 speed hub but its a road bike is there any way i can use that hub on my balloon tire bikes?
As long as it's the same # of spokes, you could lace it up to any rim.. But those 26 x 1 3/8" wheels are taller than balloon tire rims, and no one makes fat tires for 'em. Dig the AMF Shelby. ~Adam

Nice bikes! I love the Shelby!

great bikes and nice shelby. definatly a cleveland welding co. frame and cousin to the roadmaster. your looks to be early 50's, like you said. as for can you put the igh hub on the shelby, that is complicated. if the igh hub on the huffy is a shimano 3sc (coaster brake), than you'd have to get that hub laced up to rims that will fit the shelby. my guess is that the sea trails bike has a shimano 333 hub with only caliper brakes, which will not work. your shelby cruiser frame does not have drill out cross piece to mount the brakes to the frame, so for an igh wheel to work back there, it would have to have a coaster or drum brake and be a cruiser rim. i have a 81' columbia clipper i convrted to 3speed using a sturmy archer a.w. hub (circa 67'), but my newer frame was built for brakes to bolt right on.

don't worry though, hotrod jen. thats the same 48tooth chainring my 59' roadmaster has, and i have a 20 tooth rear cog that provides a good gearing for this mildly hilly area. i suggest you either find a 20tooth or even better a 22 tooth rear cog to replace what you got there now, for a larger cog on the rear wheel will lower the gearing. OR... if your not going for an original look, you can swap out the 48tooth big ring up front and throw in a smaller 44 or 42 tooth chainring of your liking, cuz a smaller ring up front will also lower your gearing. you'll have to add or subtract links to the chain according with how you regear it. a 44/20 is a good general easy but not too slow gear, and a 44/22 even better. wanna keep the shelby/amf chainring, go 48/22. good luck!

roadmaster said:
great bikes and nice shelby. definatly a cleveland welding co. frame and cousin to the roadmaster. your looks to be early 50's, like you said. as for can you put the igh hub on the shelby, that is complicated. if the igh hub on the huffy is a shimano 3sc (coaster brake), than you'd have to get that hub laced up to rims that will fit the shelby. my guess is that the sea trails bike has a shimano 333 hub with only caliper brakes, which will not work. your shelby cruiser frame does not have drill out cross piece to mount the brakes to the frame, so for an igh wheel to work back there, it would have to have a coaster or drum brake and be a cruiser rim. i have a 81' columbia clipper i convrted to 3speed using a sturmy archer a.w. hub (circa 67'), but my newer frame was built for brakes to bolt right on.

ugh :( lol thats ok ill keep the orig hub on that bike .. maybe ill use that hub on a future project where i wouldnt feel bad cutting it up and what not .. thanks so much for the info!

Your Shelby is a product of the marriage of two American Bicycle Manufacturers and comes from a transition period that limits its potential build date.

The Shelby Cycle Company started producing bikes in Shelby Ohio in the 1920’s.
The Cleveland Welding Company introduced their first line of bicycles in 1936. After WW2 there were several buyouts and mergers between larger, stronger companies and smaller ones.

Cleveland Welding (CWC) was purchased by American Machine and Foundry (AMF) in 1951. The Shelby Cycle Company was purchased by Gambles department stores (one of Shelby’s customers) in 1953. In late 1953 or early 1954 AMF purchased Shelby from Gambles and decided to move the production of the Shelby line from Shelby Ohio to the CWC factory in Cleveland.

AMF discontinued production of the Shelby frames and adapted remaining Shelby parts to fit both standard and modified CWC frames.

At this time the traditional CWC frames were also being updated with forward facing dropouts and straight chain stays without the traditional CWC upsweep. Self binding seat posts also replaced the standard frame binder clamp.

Apparently there was worker unrest and strikes at the Cleveland plant at about this time and the decision was made to move the all AMF bicycle and wheelgoods production to a new purpose built plant in Little Rock Arkansas were a new non-union workforce could be employed.

The new plant was built and by the end of 1955 and was up and running at full capacity by mid 1956. The Shelby name was continued until 1962 when AMF production was again moved (to Olney Illinois) and the Shelby name was dropped.

So...

The first CWC built Shelbys should be no earlier than 1954 and the Cleveland on the headbadge indicates your bike was probably made before the move to Little Rock in mid 1956. The type of dropouts and the upswept chain stays were also being phased out during 1954 and may have been gone by 1955.

The serial number on your frame is of interest to me. I am building a data base of CWC bikes and your bike as a transition model would be very helpful. The number is probably a letter followed by five digits. There is also probably also a suffix which may be 53Cw or perhaps 54Cw. If you don’t mind posting the number or PMing me on it I would be grateful.

Thanks

Phil

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
you gonna pinstripe the Shelby?

of course i am ! :) funny on the back fender theres a reflective sitcker thats semi still there .. and the sticker says on it 1969 .. kinda feel bad if i take it off ... but its right in my way of a nice striping area :)

HotRodJen really like the Shelby, frame, h.bars, seat... kool bike! There's lots of info on lacing wheels, calculators for spoke lengths, Its really pretty easy, but people seem to be intimidated by the whole concept of taking it all apart and having to put it all back together. :shock: Fear not!

Here is a couple pictures of my Shelby Flyer. I have had it for a long time. The chaingaurd is an aftermarket Schwinn I modified to hold me over until I fall into a Shelby chaingaurd. It rides really smooth. I will be taking it up to Long Beach to ride with the Cyclone Coasters in March.
bike004-1.jpg
bike006.jpg
bike007.jpg

I wish I knew what year it is......Serial# D32764 and the lower line of numbers reads 72436..I dont know if their are any Shelby folks here that could help me out with the date? Thank you in advance!

Santee said:
I wish I knew what year it is......Serial# D32764 and the lower line of numbers reads 72436..I dont know if their are any Shelby folks here that could help me out with the date? Thank you in advance!
hey nice bike!!!!
go to the first page of this thread and rms37 (phil) had alot of great info about the company and what not

Back