SHAFT DRIVEN BIKE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
One of these popped up on our CL today...looks kind of cool.

http://sonomabike.com/product.php?ID=4

chainlessbike.jpg

Man o man, I can't wait to get my grubby little mits on one of those. I wonder how long it's gonna take for the cheap steel framed knock offs start to surface. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled on Craigs to find one. Maybe a little reverse engineering. I can see it now, cut and stretch the drive shaft and splice into a stretched, raked and slammed old discarded diamond frame with the lines of early Guv'nor. Yeah baby, my Kuttnhack juices are flowin.

Looks really sweet to me. $350 is not too bad considering.

The comfort bike version looks good too, but 3 gears would not be enough for our kind of riding.

Thanks for the heads up.

weekend-fun said:
Shaft drives kill 20% of your power.. look cool though!!

Sam

Just wondering how the kill any of your power. To me, a shaft drive seems superior, as it would eliminate most (if not all) slack out of your drivetrain.

A guy in Minnesota developed a cable that went to the front wheel, making a 2 wheel drive bike. The cable flex would probably take some energy, but a drive shaft shouldn't rob any energy, unless it weighs a lot more than a chain and sprockets.

Never mind the whole discussion about which system is best, chain or shaft, most critics of shaft driven bikes have never ridden one, so the discussion is mostly theoretical anyway.
On mine the gears where too cheaply made (not hard enough) and gave in (flat teeth), but before that happened it was a great ride. So if you like it, see if they guarantee the shaft and gears for about ten years, then buy it and ride it.

On these there is a ten year warranty:
http://www.beixo.com/
(Sorry no English text....)

And yes, it is possible to lengthen a drive shaft.

i think the cool factor outweighs the performance/durability aspect. for me, anyway.

Back