seating S-7 tires properly

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya Thanks guys. The tire was just a stroke of luck that happened to go in my favor.

As for the crank, upon closer inspection it appeared to be cracked half-way through for awhile because if you look at the end view of the broken part, half is brown and rusty and half is clean fresh metal. Thats a first for me, I've bent plenty of cranks before but never broke one in half. I probably weigh as much as the Hulk but I am at the other end of the spectrum of fitness, lol. I was standing up and had gotten 4 good turns out of the crank before she gave way. Life goes on, now I'm in search of a new crank.

As for the early 50's Ladies Monarch Firestone Holiday, he wanted $200, but could let it go for a little less. I think, when we were talking, we were playing a game of "How gullable is this guy??". IMO I wouldn't pay more than $50 but I don't know the rarity or value of such a bike. It was complete minus horn. It looked to be the original blue but much of the chrome had been sloppily painted over with silver. There had been no attempt at restoration or even preservation, the paint was there but in poor shape, 2 spokes missing on back tire, but they both held air. Original hairpin leather seat. Headlight and rack still on the bike. What do you think, would it be worth it to look at it again?? I took some pics w/ my cell phone, I'll try to get them uploaded today.

Lefty

Here's a pic of the crank. Sorry for the fuzziness, my camera is really screwed up and I can't seem to get it right again. But you can see the brown from the rust and the silver from fresh broken metal.
2007_0724072407-0045.jpg

Someone was looking out for me today as I already have a replacement crank, a 2 speed kickback hub and the chubby grips I was looking for, all in one package. I'm giddy like a school girl.

2007_0724072407-0048.jpg

2007_0724072407-0049.jpg

And a donor frame to build up for my father-inlaw after I take what I need off it.

Lefty

Park Tools makes (or at least used to make) a tool for seating tires. It's essentially a pair of channel locks with special shaped and coated grippers on the end. You grip the low spot and pull it up into place. Kinda pricey, but once I got one and used it a few times it just made me wish I'd purchased one sooner. But then again I do a lot of bike work.
Cheers, Geoff

greenephantom said:
Park Tools makes (or at least used to make) a tool for seating tires. It's essentially a pair of channel locks with special shaped and coated grippers on the end. You grip the low spot and pull it up into place. Kinda pricey, but once I got one and used it a few times it just made me wish I'd purchased one sooner. But then again I do a lot of bike work.
Cheers, Geoff

Bicycle Research still makes an even better one. Nice aluminum tongs. Not common but special orderable. If anybody wants one and your LBS pleads ignorance pm me. Maybe i should get a few and put them on the classifieds. I doubt they're cheap though.......

on a related s-6 note, using 700x35c tubes works a LOT better for me than using the obvious 26x1 3/8 choice :)

I've got an S-7 that the tire didn't seat right. I just figured the stripe on the tire was irregular. I will have to try some of these tips to get it mounted correctly.

Working a barely inflated tire out with your fingers, and/or soapy water fully inflated til it goes POP on it's own almost always works for me, be careful about over inflating, especially cheap tires, or you could end up w/permanent bulges even w/perfectly seated tires. :x

I've only had a few problems with seating tires. My method for inflation is to lay the tire flat on the ground, like a pizza. Lots of people stand the wheels on edge and then inflate the tire, and this might contribute to the low spot thing. Just spitballing.
Cheers, Geoff

My LBS sprays bike polish all around the inside of the rim before mounting the tire and then inflates it "horizontally" ontop of a like, 55 gallon trashcan, so you can do it standing up...

Back