Seat upgrade question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I picked up this seat at a good price. Don’t know much about it, I believe it’s a 60s era model. Overall it is in decent shape, however it’s fairly uncomfortable for my bony butt, but I like the way it looks. It doesn’t squeak but I suspect the seat post clamp may be a little worn out as there is some slight see-saw movement there (I guess that’s another issue, difficulty finding guts, as evidenced by recent posts here).
I was considering disassembling, powder coating the seat pan black and taking it to an auto upholstery shop to have padding and upholstery done. I know a lot of guys here redo their own seats, however I won’t attempt this because I want it to look nice when it’s done in addition to my primary goal of making it comfortable for cruising (this bike trends more towards the rod side than rat). My limited experience with upholstery has taught me this.
Any advice/hints/recommendations from your collective experience is appreciated. For example: best type of padding, seat covering material (I was thinking maybe leather), etc. Right now it has vinyl and minimal/worn out padding.

Cool seat. I have made many seats using old yoga mats for padding. Really comfortable. Definitely go leather if you want to keep that look. There are a lot of techniques out there for covering. I use 3m 3100 and a heat gun. Once it sticks it stays. Hope that helps some.

You might want to search " bike seat cover " on Etsy.com

There are a lot of wierd ones but some I think are well done (better than I could do, LOL)
like this by seller lxm boutique...
il_570xN.393704718_mfuq.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/114560908/bicycle-seat-upholstery-beach-cruisers?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=bike seat cover&ref=sr_gallery_31

They will even make a custom cover for you. and its like $19 shipped! Just take the pan apart, glue on a piece of yoga mat and put it back together,

At least you may get an idea of what you would youe seat to look like - many different designs.
il_570xN.467445446_s7zl.jpg

Cool seat. I have made many seats using old yoga mats for padding. Really comfortable. Definitely go leather if you want to keep that look. There are a lot of techniques out there for covering. I use 3m 3100 and a heat gun. Once it sticks it stays. Hope that helps some.
Great idea, thanks

You might want to search " bike seat cover " on Etsy.com

There are a lot of wierd ones but some I think are well done (better than I could do, LOL)
like this by seller lxm boutique...
il_570xN.393704718_mfuq.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/114560908/bicycle-seat-upholstery-beach-cruisers?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=bike seat cover&ref=sr_gallery_31

They will even make a custom cover for you. and its like $19 shipped! Just take the pan apart, glue on a piece of yoga mat and put it back together,

At least you may get an idea of what you would youe seat to look like - many different designs.
il_570xN.467445446_s7zl.jpg
I didn't know they made such things, thanks. This should give me more ideas.

I have a quite a few seats on bikes like yours. At least on mine they all have the see-saw movement. The ones with long springs have a side to side movement. I take them off and exchange them for longer rides. They are OK for 10 miles, for longer I exchange them. They aren't designed to fit your seat bones like the modern road and mountain bike saddles are. I figure the pain is part of the game for old cruisers. I also use old closed cell foam mats for padding. That's a nice example you have there, well preserved.

I have a quite a few seats on bikes like yours. At least on mine they all have the see-saw movement. The ones with long springs have a side to side movement. I take them off and exchange them for longer rides. They are OK for 10 miles, for longer I exchange them. They aren't designed to fit your seat bones like the modern road and mountain bike saddles are. I figure the pain is part of the game for old cruisers. I also use old closed cell foam mats for padding. That's a nice example you have there, well preserved.
Thanks, us56456712, I do believe you're right. I couldn't see riding over 10 miles on it either. So I guess I'll do the switcheroo until I figure it out, thanks for your input. I guess my B190 has spoiled me.

Buy a pair of bike shorts with the pad. -or- buy the mountain bike version that look like surfer baggies. Use a bit of butt cream just like the road bikers use. if you got the road bike style, wear a pair of pants or shorts over them and keep your mouth shut. Don't mess with that great looking old seat.

Buy a pair of bike shorts with the pad. -or- buy the mountain bike version that look like surfer baggies. Use a bit of butt cream just like the road bikers use. if you got the road bike style, wear a pair of pants or shorts over them and keep your mouth shut. Don't mess with that great looking old seat.
Thanks for your feedback Jerry. In your opinion which store in DFW has the best selection of cycling shorts like you're referencing?

Thanks for your feedback Jerry. In your opinion which store in DFW has the best selection of cycling shorts like you're referencing?
I would see if I could borrow padded cycling shorts before buying. Most of my friends like them but for me I had to throw away the seat padding as it was too uncomfortable, too bulky and caused chafing. It is all very individual as to your anatomy and the fit of the various brands. They would probably work for you. I use road ones as I also road ride and put my mountain bike shorts over them for trails. The wife and I rode coast to coast in England this June and I wore out mine and left them there. They last me 6 months before they get holes or thin but I milk a year out of them and they are real bad by then. I ride 4 times a week, ten to 20 miles each ride in the non snow months and 15 miles a week in the winter. They don't make old cruiser seats comfortable for me as I am not on my sit bones and get a sore back. I have had back surgery so my back is sensitive. I like the thin road style seats sometimes called an a_ _ axe. My next road shorts will be unpadded if they make such a thing. I hope the padded shorts work for you as that would be the easiest and best solution.

Any of the major LBS will have a good selection of bike shorts. I have to agree with a lot of what us564 is saying. shorts and seats are a very personal choice. everyone fits them differently. I don't care for the wide "comfortable" seats. They are OK for a mile or 2, but after than they don't fit me and hurt. The narrow seats end up being more comfortable with a good padded short. It pretty much boils down to where your "sit bones" are supported by the seat. All our "sit bones" are not made alike. Do some google searches about "sit bones" and bicycle seats support, and you will get what he is talking about. Even then, my favorite broken in leather Wrights seat gets uncomfortable after a few miles. And BTW: if you get a good padded short, and wear a big ol pair of over-hauls over them, you will probably chafe the heck out of the inside of your legs with those pants. Tell your red-neck friends to get over the spandex. Since you can't see their legs, ask them if they shave them like the road racers. Ha!

I have one of those. Once in a while I foolishly stick it back on the bike it came with, then I wise up and remove it after a little riding. Would be dandy slammed on a motorized bike, or just putzing amongst walkers on flat ground. There isn't way to make it comfortable and still get decent leg extension for serious riding.

Thanks guys. I bought it because I really liked its looks, but I've been riding with it a little more and I'm coming to the realization that it may not be for me. I might just hold onto it for a while or sell it down the road.

Latest posts

Back