seat post sizes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bunch!
American made frames, usually use s.a.e. sizes, usually.
Imports are metric.
You really need a caliper, and remember the conversion factor, 25.4

A bunch!
American made frames, usually use s.a.e. sizes, usually.
Imports are metric.
You really need a caliper, and remember the conversion factor, 25.4

The old American bikes tended to be metric, but most of the new US-made road/mtn/'cross bikes are metric. I also recently picked up a made-in-Florida Trailmate industrial bike-- probably early 80s vintage-- that had a 22.0 post. That's a common French size. :43: The stock post was just straight 22.0, so a regular saddle gutset didn't take, so i tried regain composure, and ended up running a 13/16" post with a "7/8" shim; it's working fine so far, even riding off-road.

Better than a caliper, if you can justify the price, are the stepped rods that quickly/easily/accurately determine what size the frame needs:
Sizer%20Crossed.jpg

My usual method is to buy a frame where i either already know the specs or the original post is still in it, so there' no guesswork. MY "plan B" is usually to cuss and fidget and test-fit different sizes until I get it right. Haven't had to try that method in years, thankfully.

ha. I just went through this last night. I measured my Berkshire I.D., and it was .800". Measured all my seatposts, and I had, .81, .84, .86, .87... and up. I ended up sanding the .81 post on the belt sander.

ha. I just went through this last night. I measured my Berkshire I.D., and it was .800". Measured all my seatposts, and I had, .81, .84, .86, .87... and up. I ended up sanding the .81 post on the belt sander.
That's pretty grim. 8/10". What's wrong with these ppl? Of course, that's a pretty old frame you got there, buddy. Times were way different back then, I guess.

Had issues with Indecision and it's seat post, got a nice 26.4mm layback post and what I thought would be correct tapered shim only to find the shim too thick at its thinnest size. Turns out the seat tube is 27.2mm! Now I have a pointless post to get rid of :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back