Seat has an "S", gotta be a Scwhinn!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a late '30's Schwinn, sweetheart 1" pitch sprocket says it might be. Picked up four old bikes for $20 including this one. No headbadge, could it be a Schwinn Henderson model? I love this frame design, should I leave the patina alone and slap on some rollers? What'ta ya think :)
RRBBBGRN003.jpg
"

Looks like a Shelby/Western auto frame. Notice how the seat stays go past the seat tube and connect to the top frame tube. The seat is a much later addition. The sweetheart sprocket looks like a schwinn but, I think at least one other brand (Dayton?) used a version of it. Your sprocket looks more like a Schwinn because it has thinner dimensions.
1937WesternAutoCatalogpg80.jpg

1937HuffmanStreamlinerJBFinished16s.jpg

1937 Huffman Steamliner (Dayton). Notice heavier dimensions of sprocket.

arn't some of the hiawathas similar to that the way the two seat stay tubes come together in front of the seat tube?

arn't some of the hiawathas similar to that
Karfer, Shelby built most of the earlier Hiawathas for Gamble's Dept. store. Gamble's actually bought Shelby at one point, then sold 'em to AMF. Now ya know! :mrgreen: ~Adam

Back