Scrap Yard Choppers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is Don. I build Custom Bikes from used bicycles, scrap metal, wood or what ever else I can find. I started building bikes by helping my son Ron put together his bikes. In the mid 90's Ron was about 10 years old he saw a kid with a lowrider Schwinn riding around town and said he wanted to build one. From there it snowballed into what it is today. Being low buget is our main focus(not alot of cash to spend). Ron would chop them up and I would weld them back together for him. Those early bikes were pretty radical and did'nt always work very well. After helping Ron build a about a dozen bikes I decided to build one for myself. You can see those bikes in the gallery at FreakBikeNation.net under Scrap Yard Choppers.
I make signs for a living. I'm self employed and have a small shop I rent for my business that I wotk out of. I've been racing figure eight derbies for about 25 years, that's how I learned to weld. I use a Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 wire feed welder, along with your basic shop tools. I restored a 72' Chevy pick up in 1992. I did all the body work, paint and even rebuilt the engine myself. I did the car show thing for a few years and picked up a few trophies along the way. I gave the truck to Ron for his 16th birthday hoping he would go to college to learn how to work on it himself.
Now my hobby is custom bikes. They're a lot cheaper to build and take up less space when you store them. I like riding with the FreakBike Militia here in Michigan and go to shows and rides whenever possible. I plan on taking the "Ratical" bike to the Al Petri & Sons show at the Detroit Autorama this year. Last year I entered the OSB Speacial and had a great time. Got to meet Chainsaw & Giggles from the FreakBike Nation, and see some really cool bikes. You also get to see all the custom cars close up before the public is let in. Nobody in the way for pictures.
Hope you enjoy my bikes. Chop, Cut, Rebuild!
Scrap Yard Don

61rollfastbluebikespiderbike.jpg

F8monte72Chevyoldshoptruck.jpg

Welcome Don, V8 headers as part of a bike frame... KILLER IDEA!!! Would like to see more pics!

custom choppers and demolition derbys 2 of my favorite pastimes
awesome bikes looks like you got some skills there
I ran in a lot of demo derbys around Nebraska but I recently moved to Kansas and am looking for one to build
if you ever run at the Kansas state fairs let me know I will look you up.
welcome to the site and good luck
Sean

Latest posts

Back