Schwinn World Sport

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just snagged this 87 model World Sport off CL last night for $35. Good condition, needs tires and a chain for sure. Paint is good, there is no rust on the frame, wheels are clean, and the chrome and aluminum will require minimal polishing. I'm pretty excited to get this one on the road, it should make a really nice rider. I plan to get it on the road in the current geared configuration first, but may swap to either a single speed or a SA 3-spd setup later this spring/summer.

Lousy IPhone pics... will post more in the future once I get some cleanup done.

IMG_4857.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

IMG_7870.jpg

IMG_8948.jpg

I've got that exact same frame/fork ,color and size also. I really like this WS since it has forged dropouts and nice lugs. Not to mention the front triangle is 4130 Chromoly. Nice find.

I've made decent progress since I got the bike, stripped off all components to clean and polish all the parts and frame. The aluminum polished up nicely and the chrome is now rust free, only some minor pitting on the chainring and a couple nicks on the frame remain.

I am in the process of gathering parts for a single speed conversion. I haven't decided if I want to stick to single speed only, or set up a flip flop hub with SS and fixed gears. I've never ridden a fixed gear (at least since my bigwheel days as a kid) but it sounds like something I might want to try. As for now I plan to reinstall the front brake with new cable and install a single speed freewheel, and I may swap out the drop bars (not sure risers on or bullhorns?). It's not near as exciting or involved as some of the builds on this site, but I'm stoked to get this bike rolling, it should be a fun rider.

And yes I'm keeping all the parts, nothing will be done that can't easily be put back to original. This bike is in too good of condition to consider any permanent changes just yet, that's what my cruisers are for! :D

IMG_6207.jpg

IMG_9622.jpg

That is awesome! I would only go SS. If you wanted to go flip-flop, you would have to get a different hub whereas you can already just take the existing freewheel off and put a single freewheel on with the same threading. Plus, fixies really hurt your knees even when you're 18 years old. Just my opinion; they're fun bikes nonetheless but I never learned how to go backwards more than 12 inches, haha. The paint job on your bike is phenomenal and so clean. I love it. Keep us updated! :D

schwinnmesa said:
That is awesome! I would only go SS. If you wanted to go flip-flop, you would have to get a different hub whereas you can already just take the existing freewheel off and put a single freewheel on with the same threading. Plus, fixies really hurt your knees even when you're 18 years old. Just my opinion; they're fun bikes nonetheless but I never learned how to go backwards more than 12 inches, haha. The paint job on your bike is phenomenal and so clean. I love it. Keep us updated! :D

You make a good point, I'm 27 but by no means are my knees near as good as when I was 18. Only having to buy a SS freewheel is definitely a nice cost saving option. I think I'm gonna get some 1" risers and keep both F&R brakes for now, other than that all I need is tires and she'll be on the road! :D Thanks for the compliment, the paint is definitely nice on this bike aside from a few nicks and scratches. I may try and touch them up if I can find a paint to match, the red on this bike is a great color.

d.rock said:
I think I'm gonna get some 1" risers and keep both F&R brakes for now

Cool. I have 1" risers on my single speed too, definitely comfortable and easy on the back. That's why I like little girls' bikes -- they have awesome little riser handlebars that are great for single speeds. :lol: Are those aluminum wheels I see? You are blessed! :mrgreen:

I'm 31 and commute twenty miles a day on my fixed gear bikes. It no different then riding a normal freewheel style bicycle. It when it comes to stopping is when you decide if you like your knees or not. You can run brakeless and skid stop and then want to take stock in a tire company after burning through tires. Otherwise just brake like any other bicycle and you'll be fine. You can also try fixed on that wheel also. Just unthread the freewheel and thread on a fixed cog and bottom bracket lock ring instead of a lock ring for a fixed gear hub. This is a cheaper way of doing it and never had issues of the cog unthreading itself. Fixed gear bicycles don't all have to be associated with the young hipsters. Just please don't put cards in the spokes and pad on the top tube.

Back