??? SCHWINN VINYL DECALS???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am looking for some decals for my Schwinn build. Buuut..not the horrible water transfers or the peel off with clear backing. I used to buy nice ones on EBAY that were nice vinyl that you rubbed on and the backing peeled off. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A PLACE TO GET THESE..OR CAN YOU MAKE THEM FOR ME?

Which Model Bike are you lookin for ?
I have some StingRay sets ...
~Rafael~

Last edited:
Schwinn has lawyers scanning the Internet on a regular basis looking for folks making unlicensed decal sets.

A member here was selling some at one time and they received a cease and desist order from Schwinn's attorneys.

Unfortunately I also received a copy of this letter being the forum owner. :confused:

RatRod's right. Paint yourself up a "McDonald's" bike and see how fast those lawyers come and get you.
Go to any shop that does truck lettering and they'll be able to fix you up with Schwinn decals. Shhhh!! Gary

Quite right. We have folks who can do this kind of work easily and affordably at the local dirt mall. Just bring some scans, pics, specs as far as size goes.... they can set you up.
RatRod's right. Paint yourself up a "McDonald's" bike and see how fast those lawyers come and get you.
Go to any shop that does truck lettering and they'll be able to fix you up with Schwinn decals. Shhhh!! Gary

Thanks foe the help guys. As far as Schwinn scanning the internet looking for people making unlicensed merchandise..i dont much care actually. Maybe they should spend more time making a decent product and less time playing on line. For those of you with the good info..thank you. I will take my COPIES (yes Schwinn) to a decal shop

Since the subject is on decals.. Does anyone have or know where I can get the Schwinn Sidewinder decals.?? I picked up 2 Sidewinders and there in need of a new paint and so I need some decals for them..
Thanks in advance.

McDonald's lawyers can't really do anything if someone paints up a red and yellow bike and plasters McDonald's logos all over it and rides it around town. At that point, it's art and it's even free advertising!

If that someone tries to SELL that bike, though, or decals with McDonald's logos, THEN it becomes copyright infringement and the lawyers come out in force.

I guess the bigger questions are "why doesn't Schwinn make replacement decals themselves?" and "how do so many different places manage to sell SOME Schwinn decals, but not the ones we want?" I suspect the answers to those are complicated and involve their bankruptcy and subsequent acquisition by Pacific and Dorel.

McDonald's lawyers can't really do anything if someone paints up a red and yellow bike and plasters McDonald's logos all over it and rides it around town. At that point, it's art and it's even free advertising!

If that someone tries to SELL that bike, though, or decals with McDonald's logos, THEN it becomes copyright infringement and the lawyers come out in force.

I guess the bigger questions are "why doesn't Schwinn make replacement decals themselves?" and "how do so many different places manage to sell SOME Schwinn decals, but not the ones we want?" I suspect the answers to those are complicated and involve their bankruptcy and subsequent acquisition by Pacific and Dorel.
The idea that schwinn or any bike manufacturer wants to limit decals is a bit strange. I understand some bike guys are all about Original look. But water decals suck. So Schwinn and everyone else..just so you know..im having your decals copied. For my personal use on MY bikes. :)-

I think the issue comes down to trademark infringement no matter how it's being used. They own the name and it is a registered Trademark so legally they are the only ones who can produce anything with the name or logo on it.

Any responsible company no matter how big or small will avoid trademark infringement. These small timers reproducing decal sets and selling them on Ebay will most likely get a letter from Schwinn's attorneys. These are the guys that they are usually after.

If you have a buddy with a plotter and some vinyl and you ask him to make you a set of decals for a restoration project then I doubt you'll hear from them.....unless you blast it all over the Internet. :21:

I wonder if they did contact me if it would be in English or Japanese??? Either way i'd love to hear from them. A little feedback on our part might help them out. Start building bikes like they were when they were AMERICAN made..might sell better

I think the issue comes down to trademark infringement no matter how it's being used. They own the name and it is a registered Trademark so legally they are the only ones who can produce anything with the name or logo on it.

Any responsible company no matter how big or small will avoid trademark infringement. These small timers reproducing decal sets and selling them on Ebay will most likely get a letter from Schwinn's attorneys. These are the guys that they are usually after.

If you have a buddy with a plotter and some vinyl and you ask him to make you a set of decals for a restoration project then I doubt you'll hear from them.....unless you blast it all over the Internet. :21:

Legally, you can reproduce things right up until the moment you receive even just a $0.01 for it. Profiting off of something that is trademarked or copywritten is the kicker, and what constitutes "profit" is a little fuzzy at times, but consider this: I can play cover songs all day long without repercussions, but the moment I charge admission to the show, i've crossed the line. Even if I'm not charging the admission, if I'm playing covers for free at a venue but the venue is charging admission, we crossed the line. Even if the venue isn't charging a cover, but they're selling concessions while i play, ASCAP and them can close it down... b/c theoretically, ppl have come to hear the music and bought the Coke b/c it was there, at the show.

But, in the end, I can write "Schwinn" all over whatever bike I want, strap a "McDonald's" headbadge on it, wear my best Elvis impersonator outfit and ride around town playing Britney Spears covers on the ukelele, and I'm in the clear. But, if I take a video of that and put it on youtube, where it could potentially earn ad revenue, then I've infringed...

In the end, the current iteration of Schwinn is stupid to not offer their own repro decals, and they're even stupid to go after ppl for selling bootleg repros, b/c the main thing that sells the current-production "Schwinns" is the buzz created by cool Chicago Schwinns, featured in pics on the Internet or rolling thru neighborhoods, many of which have been restored or modded and include bootleg decals. Take away the nice old Schwinns that many new riders aspire to, and new "Schwinn" sales will suffer.

In any case i change my Previous Reply too , I know a Dude , Who Knows a Dude , Who new a Dude !:cool:

~Rafael~

:rofl::grin::D:rofl: Such a shame because most of us would like to see that video.

But, in the end, I can write "Schwinn" all over whatever bike I want, strap a "McDonald's" headbadge on it, wear my best Elvis impersonator outfit and ride around town playing Britney Spears covers on the ukelele, and I'm in the clear. But, if I take a video of that and put it on youtube, where it could potentially earn ad revenue, then I've infringed...

If I remember correctly...their legal team had an office in Wisconsin.

And I have a feeling, the only feedback that they'd be looking for was ....."yes sir, right away sir." :rofl:

I tend to lean more toward.."if you tell me not to do something I usually do it just because" the point of decals making this big of a deal is totally stupid and a waste of time. I bought probably 10 sets on Ebay over the last couple years. They look good..make the bikes look good and they hold up unlike the terrible water transfer one's. Anyway..anytinme Schwinn or anyone else wants to spend time chasing me over a $5 decal..im easy to find. This is all about biulding bikes and having fun..and FREE ADVERTISING for one of the WORST currently built bikes out there.

Im a Photographer and have yhousands of phtoos out there..on my website..facebook page and many other places. IF anyone wants to use them..FEEL free to use. Make sure ya tell who ya got them from. PLaster them all over the world. Bottom line is..Im going to get the decals made by a local sign shop..NO DOUBT about it. They will charge me a few dollars..then they go on a bike..the bike gets photographed and put on different sites...WHO GETS FREE ADVERTISING??? This concept is a bit too complex for the suits to understand. Thats probably why their bikes are horrible quality and no one buys them.

Back