Schwinn Varsity Collegiate Suburban Frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I have a project in mind for a ladies Suburban frame that I have, (like the one on the pic) but my idea requires 2 of the same frame. So I have noticed that the Varsity and Collegiate frames of a similar vintage look to be the same basic structure. Is this right? Could I take a Collegiate or Varsity frame and grind off all the tabs, do the same to my Suburban frame and end up with two identical frames? Or do I need to buy another Suburban?
Thanks,
Nate
schwinn-suburban.jpg

I'd have to check a few side by side. I think that the Varsity and Suburban may well be identical frame-wise, since they're both 27" bikes. The Collegiate, though, is a 26", so if nothing else, the brake mount bridge between the seat stays will be in a different location, as will the bridge between the chain stays where the fender would attach. I don't know if that means that the stays are shorter as well, or if the wheelbase is the same with wheel clearance for the 27" bikes. I'll check when I get home, as I've examples of all three in my guest room...

Back