Schwinn V.I.N - Re Pop, Right? With A Pic Now

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Folks,
I just picked up a ladie's American Flyer horn tank bike with the VIN S319884 under the bottom bracket and the #B4756 on top left side of bottom bracket.
We don't see many vintage Schwinn's around here, so your help would be appreciated. I've scoured the net for similar images to hunt down info but no luck.
c395f979.jpg

I'm thinking re-pop because it has chrome fenders, aluminum? Louisvilles head badge, no truss rods, well padded seat, Taiwanese wheels and the horn is like new.
It has blade forks, crusty 1.75 tires, Schwinn script grips and definite patina which made me wonder, though.
If you could also shoot me a vintage and a value, it would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Dan :?:

Re: Schwinn V.I.N - Re Pop, Right?

I'll try and get some pics up, but having technical difficulties.
I'm a rather primitive man. Ugh. Blue frame/forks, white down tube, spears, red pin striping. Mostly white tank w gold script.
All I can offer for now is the VIN description and Toronto kijiji pic, Jimmy. Thanks

Hey Guys I also found another 'B.I.N' on the left side top of the bottom bracket too. This number is B4756.
I've de rusted the fenders, repacked the bearings and replaced the old Paragon WW 1.75 tires.
I hope these bits of info will help the cause.
Please check Toronto CL 'items wanted' for Schwinn ad with the pic or Kijiji Toronto bikes ' 1950's Schwinn' for pics as a personal favour. Although I am leaning towards newer bike as it also uses some Philips head fasteners.
There are a few nice '50s bikes on the market there on Kijiji as well to check out.
I'll work on the pics,
Thanks again, Dan

My first instinct would be ---original frame with a goofy build of newer parts.I see an added kickstand with the original kick stand fitting right next to it.I know they repopped phantoms and Krate stingrays but never heard of a girls repop.Maybe someone else knows if they did.Im going to do some looking around and check the serial no. to try and help you.Other surely will also.

the serial n. does fall into 1949 11/08 ------------------ S318301 ---------------- S321357 .I cannot find any info on a repop Schwinn girls frame American Flyer. thats all i have for now.Still checking some info.

Looks to me like someone might have Ratrodded an older nice girls tank frame???

Hey Guys, Yep, that was the ad, Thanks Rob.
I'm re-learning about posting the pics and added the same larger image to the top of the post.
All your comments and ideas are very helpful Xcruiser I thought the same thing when I saw it.
The girl who sold the bike thought it was an 1950s bike but I had my doubts about the same issues.for the price it was coming home with me either way.
For a horn tank Schwinn from that era I might have expected to see painted fenders, truss rods, maybe a headlight, maybe a rack? I thought that maybe those parts found their way to a boys bike in the past.
It has cleaned up nicely although the fenders do have slight fit irregularities and yes the front fender is now at least facing the right direction too.
Cheers

Looks like a repop :wink: The seat, fenders, wheels, handlebars, and grips don't look right :)

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Looks like a repop :wink: The seat, fenders, wheels, handlebars, and grips don't look right :)
The thing to keep in mind here is that schwinn would not reproduce with the parts we see in the pic.The bars grips neck,yes.The seat,fenders,rims etc. -no.
The only way i feel we might see those parts used on a repop if it were made in the late 2000,s.Heres the catch in my eyes-its a fillet brazed frame.The last time schwinn released a fillet brazed repop was the 1998 Stingrays and Krate bikes and Phantom.
I still have yet to find any girls repop info,Im near convinced its original with misc. parts.
In the end I may be wrong.

Here are a few new pics after clean and lube.
dd1a6934.jpg
dd1a6934.jpg
[/img]
dd1a6934.jpg
[/img]
abc0727b.jpg
2bc9e0b6.jpg
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j327/latefordinner/abc0727b.jpg
Here's a better one of the old Shelby too,just because I was in the album. I'd sell the Shelby, but again would like to get a ballpark on value. I have it listed locally at $550 with no interest. I wouldn't mind keeping, but the cash would be handy too. I think it's too nice and original to part out.[img]http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j327/latefordinner/fed744c2.jpg
Thanks again for your help.
fed744c2.jpg
[/img]

Tell me about it Jimmy.
I picked that up last summer from Kijiji cuz it looked like a parts bike and I wanted a springer fork for a pre war rat Flyer project, but as you can see it was in better shape than the picture in the ad showed.
All those parts have been taunting me this whole time, but it would just be WRONG to mess with it.
The Flyer has been a constant no buck project as the frame was given to me and now has a period correct 28"CCM fork for something different and because I had one laying around. The tire and well choices are limited though with that tall skinny fork.
I found a cheap aluminum DelSol cruiser w/Schwinn style springer that I picked up for the fork, fenders, and 3 speed coaster hub, but the head tube was too short for the old Flyer.Only the rear fender is on the Flyer, the front fender is in the parts vault.
The Del Sol is now a coaster brake fenderless dragster rat with Kenda flame 3.0 rear and skinny front on that springer fork.
I'm glad to say my springer needs are being met by an X53 now.
Now anyways, let's get back to that Schwinn..........I'm so easily side tracked.

Reffering to the frame/fork/chainguard only I'd say original.The only thing that concerns me is the horn button ,it looks odd-convex instead of concave.Could just be the angle.
Id love to hear one of the early schwinn big guns chime in on this one.
Everything Ive posted above seems to be holding up-I still cannot find info on a repro girls schwinn like that.

Now that's a nice bike you have there, with no mysteries.
My horn button is convex as you noticed and installed with one flat head (-) and one Philips (+) screw. The internals are spotless and the little insulating disc behind the button is of a modern green material that was likely not available in the olden days.
The seat clamp is the only AS stamped fastener that I found on it. Not AS bolts on the bars. Hmmmmm........

Thanks for your input Schwinnray, I think we are all in agreement then. Original frame,tank and guard with later add ons.
Thank you members for your valuable assistance and RRB for the great site.
- Dan

Back