Schwinn Tornado / Straight bar frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBP

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Schwinn Tornado frame differ from other Schwinn straight bar frames? Currently looking at a rusty Tornado, claimed to be a '52. I'd like to use the frame for another straight bar model, but am not sure if all straight bars are the same. Your thoughts? :?

Re: Schwinn Tornado / Straightbar frames

theres a few different ones, just look through the catalogs

single straightbar

attachment.php

double straightbar

tornado_before.45135651_std.jpg

61/62/63 "typhoon" straightbar (also seen as tornado / skipper / flying star models)

skipper.jpg

then theres the dx frame which is actually curved a bit

otisg_dx01.jpg

what model are you wanting to build ?

MBP said:
Does the Schwinn Tornado frame differ from other Schwinn straightbar frames? Currently looking at a rusty Tornado, claimed to be a '52. I'd like to use the frame for another straightbar model, but am not sure if all straightbars are the same. Your thoughts? :?
Thanks to both of you guys! As always I just learn something. :) Man what a wealth of knowledge on the site!

Thanks a ton Jeremy.

I just picked up an old Tornado - single bar. I'd like to build a Hornet - a green one! (smiles) but was wondering if all "single" straight bars were basically universal among the various models (Autocycles, Hornet, Panther, etc...)
2012-04-12_17-34-28_942.jpg

The straight bar frames like yours came in balloon tire size until the middle/late 50's then they switched to middleweight tire size. Your frame is a middleweight. You could build a middleweight green Hornet easily enough. Parts form that time period are very interchangeable. Here's a pic of one from the forum that is a middleweight like yours. It looks pretty much correct except for the seat. Gary
P1030755.jpg

B607 said:
The straight bar frames like yours came in balloon tire size until the middle/late 50's then they switched to middleweight tire size. Your frame is a middleweight. You could build a middleweight green Hornet easily enough. Parts form that time period are very interchangeable. Here's a pic of one from the forum that is a middleweight like yours. It looks pretty much correct except for the seat. Gary

Thanks Gary! Aw heck, I was so focused on scoring a straight bar frame that I didn't pay attention to anything else. I would have preferred a heavyweight straight bar. No offense to the middleweights - those are beautiful bikes as well. Lesson learned. :|

Rustinkerer said:
Just FYI, the Tornado came out in late 1957, early models had the single straight bar frame. -Adam
Thanks for the info Adam. I'm a litte confused about this rusty Schwinn. The serial number is Exxxxx, which indicates a '52. :shock:

Bought this seeing what he wrote,,,,SCHWINN BICYCLE STRAIGHTBAR TANK FRAME.26" CRUISER BIKE.RAT ROD,HORNET PANTHER, OK, Iam thinking fat fenders and its not going to happen because this frame shows it being a 1956 making it a middle weight is that correct? I saw Panther hornet in title and just thought the frame openings were all the same but this one is only about 2 3/8" where the top mount for the rear fender meets, Iam bumbed this is a middle weight, now do I understand this correctly hornet and panther both made middle weight models after 1952 ish???? Anyone want to buy this frame?
Don

MBP said:
Thanks a ton Jeremy.

I just picked up an old Tornado - single bar. I'd like to build a Hornet - a green one! (smiles) but was wondering if all "single" straight bars were basically universal among the various models (Autocycles, Hornet, Panther, etc...)
2012-04-12_17-34-28_942.jpg
Hey you got that in staples! How much did you have to pay for It? I tried to buy it last railroad days but they wanted too much in my opinion.

Yes, I did pick this up in Staples. The seller certainly wasn't giving the bike away, but it wasn't an outrageous amount. He said he'd been approached with offers such as $10-$15 dollars from folks explaining that the bike was worthless. Although not very knowledgable, he did know enough not to accept. I figured it was worth the amount I paid - being a complete vintage bicycle in solid, unrestored condition. Although Initially dissappointed of its "middle weight" status, I've since changed my tune.

Once I got it home and posted pictures on my FB account, a local photographer contacted me requesting to use it for photos in their studio. Who could deny them that? (smiles) The bike has since been returned to me.

It is currently being dissasembled, cleaned and tuned up. It is shining up like a vintage penny! My original plan was to turn it into a Hornet. But it is polishing up so nice that I don't have the heart alter it. The only things I plan to add are truss rods, a tank and a different seat. :)

As far as worth goes, we're all different with regard to what we see value in. What some may consider worthless, others may consider priceless. I have no regrets about the amount I paid for this bike. I can't wait to get it back together and on the road! :D

MBP said:
Rustinkerer said:
Just FYI, the Tornado came out in late 1957, early models had the single straight bar frame. -Adam
Thanks for the info Adam. I'm a litte confused about this rusty Schwinn. The serial number is Exxxxx, which indicates a '52. :shock:
They did repeat numbers around that time. Also, the Schwinn middleweight line wasn't released until spring 1954, I have March '54 ads in Bicycle Journal that announce them.
The 'connected' straight bar frame, shown in red Skipper form, was only around in 1961 on different models, then exclusive for the new for 62 Typhoon. -Adam

Ya know, I often wondered how difficult it would be to cut off the back section and take the same off a girls Ballooner and weld it on.

Rustinkerer said:
MBP said:
Rustinkerer said:
They did repeat numbers around that time. Also, the Schwinn middleweight line wasn't released until spring 1954, I have March '54 ads in Bicycle Journal that announce them.
The 'connected' straight bar frame, shown in red Skipper form, was only around in 1961 on different models, then exclusive for the new for 62 Typhoon. -Adam

Thanks again Adam. I really appreciate the info. I've seen so many versions of the Tornado (double bar, straight bar, etc...) that it has my head spinning! But, I suppose thats what Tornados are supposed to do. :wink:

With regard to the Bicycle Journal... is that a vintage publication, or is it current literature providing information on vintage bicycles? I'd be interested in taking a look if it is something easily attainable.

Either way, thanks again.

bladerunner1955 said:
Bought this seeing what he wrote,,,,SCHWINN BICYCLE STRAIGHTBAR TANK FRAME.26" CRUISER BIKE.RAT ROD,HORNET PANTHER, OK, Iam thinking fat fenders and its not going to happen because this frame shows it being a 1956 making it a middle weight is that correct? I saw Panther hornet in title and just thought the frame openings were all the same but this one is only about 2 3/8" where the top mount for the rear fender meets, Iam bumbed this is a middle weight, now do I understand this correctly hornet and panther both made middle weight models after 1952 ish???? Anyone want to buy this frame?
Don
How fat do you want to go? If all you have is a frame, you'll have to get fenders, and a wheel set anyway. If you get original Schwinn S7 rims, you can get the 1 3/4" tires. You will love the middleweight tire/wheel combo as soon as you ride it. If you really want a balloon tire, Kenda makes a 26x2x 1 3/4. It fits the S7 rim, but it's almost indistinguishable from a 2.125. It fits under a Schwinn middleweight fender, too. If you get aftermarket 1.75 rims (different from a 1 3/4) you can still put a 2" or better tire in that frame.

JWM

MBP said:
Yes, I did pick this up in Staples. The seller certainly wasn't giving the bike away, but it wasn't an outrageous amount. He said he'd been approached with offers such as $10-$15 dollars from folks explaining that the bike was worthless. Although not very knowledgable, he did know enough not to accept. I figured it was worth the amount I paid - being a complete vintage bicycle in solid, unrestored condition. Although Initially dissappointed of its "middle weight" status, I've since changed my tune.

Once I got it home and posted pictures on my FB account, a local photographer contacted me requesting to use it for photos in their studio. Who could deny them that? (smiles) The bike has since been returned to me.

It is currently being dissasembled, cleaned and tuned up. It is shining up like a vintage penny! My original plan was to turn it into a Hornet. But it is polishing up so nice that I don't have the heart alter it. The only things I plan to add are truss rods, a tank and a different seat. :)

As far as worth goes, we're all different with regard to what we see value in. What some may consider worthless, others may consider priceless. I have no regrets about the amount I paid for this bike. I can't wait to get it back together and on the road! :D
Nice! Glad to see "the one that got away" turn up on here. Where are you located at? I'm about 15 miles outside of staples.

RatSphinx said:
Was there a "Gilligan" bike too? :lol:

skipper.jpg

funny! The bike should have been blue and white for the Skipper, as his 'lil buddy always wore red and white.

MBP said:
Thanks again Adam. I really appreciate the info. I've seen so many versions of the Tornado (double bar, straight bar, etc...) that it has my head spinning! But, I suppose thats what Tornados are supposed to do. :wink:

With regard to the Bicycle Journal... is that a vintage publication, or is it current literature providing information on vintage bicycles? I'd be interested in taking a look if it is something easily attainable.

No, it was a March, 1954 issue. The Journal was a small sized magazine, about the size of a dvd case. American bicyclist was a full size mag. I've bought a bunch of them off ebay over the years, lots of great info you can't easily find! Also, here's an early 61 Tornado I have. -Adam
CRIM0016.jpg

Rustinkerer said:
MBP said:

No, it was a March, 1954 issue. The Journal was a small sized magazine, about the size of a dvd case. American bicyclist was a full size mag. I've bought a bunch of them off ebay over the years, lots of great info you can't easily find! Also, here's an early 61 Tornado I have. -Adam
CRIM0016.jpg
Nice. Thanks for the info Adam. You've been a ton of help. I'm polishing up the chainguard on my old mystery bike right now. Very tedious with rubbing compound and fine bronze wool. But, it's working. Mine has the old feather chainguard. I'll snap a pic and post it later.

Back