Schwinn Super Deluxe First Modifications

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my firs attempt at modifying a complete bike. Not a lot of vintage balloon tire bikes from where i live in brisbane australia so thought I would start with a good quality new one. This bike will be inspired by early motorbikes, boardtrack etc. I have flipped and cut the bars. I have now made a mock up of the seat I want for this bike. Post more pics as more progress is made.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z42 ... bba4de.jpg

mbray2 said:
1381814_221696874672317_278229559_n_zps01bba4de.jpg

Hot and humid. Hey Luke do you know of any facebook groups in australia for cruisers, vintage etc, it's difficult to find anything.

mbray2 said:
Hot and humid. Hey Luke do you know of any facebook groups in australia for cruisers, vintage etc, it's difficult to find anything.
None that I am aware of, there is a forum ( http://www.retro-rollers.com ) but not my style as it allows foul language and the like. Unfortunately custom bikes are a small thing here in Aust so far, it does appear to be growing fairly fast though, so give it time...

Is that Schwinn the one with the built in cupholder in the frame?

Luke.

Yeah thats the one. Got some good quality and well thought out parts for a modern cruiser (and they look much better in person than in the schwinn catalogue).

Hey LTJ,
love the colour combinations on the schwinn. I'm trying to get mine as low as possible (bit different). My dad is making the base of the seat out of wood (to be covered with vinyl), shouldnt be too much longer till I can add another pic. Rode 17km on my schwinn on the weekend, great fun to ride just trying to master the double kick rear hub (always seems to change into the hardest gear right before a hill).
Mat

I just put the low-end Cyclops branded single speed version of these away on lay-buy... Your build and looking at others have inspired me, I did not like them when I first saw them but they have grown on me... :wink: Going to be making some major frame mods to mine when I get it though...

http://shop.target.com.au/p/66cm-cyclop ... /P53591395

Luke.

Hey LTJ,
Haven't seen those before, looks like a great value bike to experiment on. I've got one of those kmart huffy's to work on next that I picked up for $25, very rusty but I can go all frankenstein on it.

Hey Luke
Is the Cyclops an alloy frame like the Schwinn, and do you know if the frames are made in the same factory?

Off topic, have you guys had any trouble with fires this year?
A few got close to my family in Sydney, but they didn't have to be evacuated.

Hi, I'm up in Brisbane (so quite a way from the fires in NSW), but it has been very dry and windy up here all year. Those fires in NSW looked bad this year, thankfully I think only one person lost their life.

No fires near us yet this year, think it may be a bad season though, so see what happens...

Back on to bikes, picked up my Cyclops version today, the box and tag claim it to be a "lightweight alloy frame" but it is not, it is steel as I expected... :wink: The price dropped even further, they are down to $119.30...

10845768895_9c6a28ce84_z.jpg

Luke.

When your able could you take a picture of the twin top tubes from above, I'm interested to see if the contours are the same as the schwinn (that is my favourite part of the frame in-between the seat post and the cup holder). Also from the pic the seat post size on your cyclops appears to be a 25.4, The schwinn I think is more aorund 27. I think I'll have to start hinting to my wife for one for christmas.

deorman said:
Fwiw, iron based steels are all alloys, even "simple" hand forged polyvalent carbo-ferrite. :| Pure iron would make a pretty crappy bike. :p :wink:
Absolutely correct, forgot about that! :oops:

Here you go:

10848772155_5f9f1e8ed1_z.jpg

You can also see in the pic the un-closed end of the "tank" something I will be fixing when I make the new cup holder...
If you want to get one I suggest lay-buying it soon, they will not last long at that price.

Luke.

Edit: You are correct 25.4mm seat post.

Back