***schwinn streamline aerocycle***

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat Rod said:
I have a feeling if the first time you saw it you plunked down $800 in cash it would have somehow mysteriously made its way out of the trust. :lol:

Pretty amazing that this bike still exists in that barn..especially in that condition. It should give everyone hope that they are still out there to be found!

Yeah, really didn't have any idea what to offer actually. Thinking Plan B should be do some research to find out what the appraisal should come in at and hit him up again? I've got no idea what a fair price should be...all i ever find is fully restored
models in someone's personal collection or in a vintage schwinn book. I figured anywhere between $300-$1000?

Any idea's on current value? Everything appeared to be intact except the tires and grips...the seat was even in pretty good shape.

CCR said:
Time for Plan B, send me a detailed map of the bikes location and include a SASE for me to return your finders fee in :lol:

Believe me, the same thought crosses my mind a lot! Hahaha....good thing we're honest right? :)

swami89 said:
Believe me, the same thought crosses my mind a lot! Hahaha....good thing we're honest right? :)

It's a good thing for somebody, just not us :lol:

Got my fingers crossed you hear back on it though :wink:

Even though the market is soft for high-end bikes I think a realistic appraisal for that Aerocycle as it sits is $3500 to $5000. It is in phenomenal original condition. Some of the silver paint may not come back well but the red paint and the pinstripes should put the bike in the high end of the market for original Aerocycles. I can’t believe it wouldn’t clear my low estimate on eBay and I think if it were marketed well it could exceed my high.

What an official appraiser that doesn’t actually live our market will value it at is anyone’s guess. At one time, the good bikes were considered to be 10,000-dollar bikes but currently it would take a seriously good bike and a determined buyer to see the north side of $8000 for an example.

In all fairness, the bike would probably not have been recognized as worth dealing with if you hadn’t shown interest. I feel it would be fair, once the seller has a fair price in mind, to cut you a broker’s fee of 10 to 15 percent as a discount to you at purchase or a reward for getting him in motion. Ownership being what it is, he may not see it that way.

Good luck, perhaps his appraiser will see the average selling price of bikes on eBay and you’ll get a screaming deal.

maybe you should of shown more interest in the Hercules first and make a big deal about it, then after being told that the Hercules belongs to his cousin...say something to the effect of "...so...what about this busted up Schwinn?"

...then if he says "no", just end it there...make like its not a big deal so that he suspects nothing let alone bring up the subject to anyone else. It will buy you time to figure out your next plan of attack. Smoke and mirrors with a lot of miss-direction.

I know its easy for me to say, but I probably might give away my poker face and get nervous. :mrgreen:

vibr8shun said:
maybe you should of shown more interest in the Hercules first and make a big deal about it, then after being told that the Hercules belongs to his cousin...say something to the effect of "...so...what about this busted up Schwinn?"

...then if he says "no", just end it there...make like its not a big deal so that he suspects nothing let alone bring up the subject to anyone else. It will buy you time to figure out your next plan of attack. Smoke and mirrors with a lot of miss-direction.

I know its easy for me to say, but I probably might give away my poker face and get nervous. :mrgreen:

Yep, keep thinking of all the things i could've said differently...after the fact of course. You know the whole hind sight thing?
Hind sight sucks lol!

Should have asked for more info from the members here regarding current value estimates and such; just to make him a decent
offer. Still going to pursue this thru the winter, as i doubt he was able to get to the bikes with the barn coming down...it was leaning and make the doors unable to be opened. Maybe offer to build him a new building? Hahaha

Don't be too hard on yourself.

I'm not sure anyone on this forum would have been able to keep a straight face when seeing that bike sitting in a barn.

Most of us would have started mumbling to ourselves, eyes start twitching and then the guy would have had to get us a paper bag to breath into. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks to be a 1934 to me... the handle bar stem has been replaced, looks like they crashed it broke the truss rod and fender off, in the late 50s and parked it... I would go back and make some kind of work/trade or offer tell him you want to restore it ask him more on the history maybe pictures show more of a personal interest... what do you have to lose. :lol:

This is one of the top three condition original Aeros I have seen!!!

I think it had, before they melted the never seen foam cushion grips in red!!!

Jamie

The front ender IS beat up but the truss rod is intact...but i can see how it might look broken with the angle of the photo and the rope around it. And yes, the grips looked like melted foam to me too.

Unfortunately, the homeowner seems disinterested and will probably not pursue an appraisal anytime soon. SOMETHING has to work to get this bike saved from a barn right?!?!

Just do what Mike does on american pickers if you see something killer like that bike keep bugging them about it and start throwing money at him.
I found the smell of money makes people change there mind fast when they see and smell the green stuff. That is how I got the bluebird saved out of a barn started throwing money at him till he bit. :D

Well if you have no shame in your game...how about getting some hot babe to seduce the old codger and ...ahem(cough cough)...
I'll leave it at that :lol:... sometimes there are things that money cant buy...but making someone feel young again is priceless :lol:

Super old thread, This is sad. Hope the barn did not fall down on this bike! Reminds me of that song. "God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.":cry:

Back