schwinn site woes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant find the "schwinn mods are gettin testy" thread but just saw they dumped two more members with out any warning...I dont know what their problem is over there but I'm just about to dump THEM!!! This site is ten-times-as cool as that one and alot friendlier!!!

You know, I honestly do like the Schwinn forums.....for the simple fact that there are alot of knowledgeable collectors there. The problem is though, ditching contributing members of a forum without so much as a simple warning is ridiculous. :roll:

the members MAKE the site!! I agree, theres alot of knowlege there, and I go there alot, but I dont anymore...

Here's my list of likes and dis-likes.

1. Members are awesome.
2. Uploading photos instead of embedding IMG tags is ridiculous.
3. Not allowing links to Ebay auctions...again, ridiculous.
4. Not allowing links to other users forums/websites...yep, you guessed it.

I'm sure there are more, but dinner's ready. :wink:

I was looking at a Schwinn site over a year ago and there was a lot of fighting/name calling/bickering going on back then...I never went back.

But yeah,there was some good info on there too.

you guy's can all hiss at me when say this... :p

but what is the big deal with schwinn bikes anyway????

i dont see what all the hype is about... what makes them any better than any other bike?

why are they worth more?

what's the deal with the rims only accepting "special" size tires?

the prices are ridiculous...
i've heard nothing but bad about their online "community"...
and as far as i can tell, they really dont seem to be the bikes they're made out to be...

maybe i just dont understand :|

oct.

Oct, for me Schwinn will always hold a special place in my heart......my first bike EVER was a Schwinn candy apple red pixie that my parents bought me. I rode the heck out of that bike....popping wheelies as a youngster.....and scrapin' the rear fender. :mrgreen:

My opinion of Schwinn in general is that they built quality vintage bikes....and definately had some original ideas....like the krates.....those just SCREAM nostalgia.

You mention the 60's and bicycles...and the first thing that most people would invision is an Apple Krate,Orange Krate,Pea Picker,Cotton Picker,Grey Ghost, or Lemon Peeler..... Schwinn's are just as American as Apple pie to most people.

That's not to say at all that the other brands like Huffy,Columbia, or etc. weren't as equally a quality bicycle......it's just that Schwinn is the forerunner IMHO ;)

october said:
you guy's can all hiss at me when say this... :p

but what is the big deal with schwinn bikes anyway????

i dont see what all the hype is about... what makes them any better than any other bike?

why are they worth more?

what's the deal with the rims only accepting "special" size tires?

the prices are ridiculous...
i've heard nothing but bad about their online "community"...
and as far as i can tell, they really dont seem to be the bikes they're made out to be...

maybe i just dont understand :|

oct.

I'm sorry Folks,
but I have said the exact same thing October has said before,
and I agree.
They are The Pioneers of a lot of Things,
and well made,
But I too have to agree with October in exactly what he said above...
word for word!

And I too ,do not intend to bash,belittle,or degrade anyone,
this is just my opinion.And an Opinion is Just That..an Opinion.

If I grew up with them and owned a few,
I may speak differently,

But I can't afford a $1350.00 Schwinn Taillight :wink:
so I'l stick to The D.P. Frames..and the Cleveland Welding
Frames...with Tags like Hiawatha,Rollfast,Columbia,etc.

peace,
Kev.

Since october brought it up...Schwinn to me is the American Dream.

Like Cadillacs and Harley Davidsons.

And I am thankful that I own all three.

yes,

and i dont mean any disrespect either...

i am just trying to understand why the schwinns are such a coveted bike...

i have a hard time comprehending how one tail light could be worth that much... and someone feels that it is reasonable to pay that much for it...

$1600 for a krate?

i'm not knocking anyone or even the schwinns for that matter, they are a fine bicycle...

ya gotta wonder though...

EVERY SCHWINN IS NOT OUTRAGEOUSLY STUPIDLY PRICED! THE MOST I HAVE PAID FOR A bike is 100 dollars. You guys just don't know where to shop, A lot of the crap is the name and they started a lot of stuff like the muscle bikes.. They were like the Cadillac of bicycles, that is why there priced the way they are.. You just have to know where to shop... :wink:

Hey oct. Dont worry about the 'more money than brains' club paying way too much.

The idea here is to ENJOY the bikes...not go broke on a Pebble Beach Concours restoration.

My thoughts on the matter:

I think Schwinns are the coveted bike because of the place they occupy in their particular time period. They were generally regarded as the quality leader, and marketed very effectively as THE bike to have. Schwinns were everywhere, they are very strongly connected to the childhood of many people. Either as the bike they had, or the bike they always wanted. People drop big dollars on a Krate for the same reasons they do likewise with an Eames chair or a painting by (insert favourite artist here - I'll take one by SHAG, please :D ) or an all steel '32 Ford and so on.

Additionally, features unique to Schwinn, such as electroforged frames and the fact that almost all the parts were made in house help to set them apart too. I've heard that the unique tires sizes were a method of controlling the quality of tires on Schwinn bikes. Only Schwinn Approved tires would fit, thus preventing sub-standard tires from being used as replacements.

Schwinn is the 800lb gorilla of the vintage bicycle world. This is both good and bad. Good because the parts and knowledge are readily attainable. Bad because the prices can get, well..... stupid, to put it bluntly. Add Ebay into the mix and you know what happens then...

Look at the astronomical prices musclecars are fetching these days, it's the same dynamic at work. Is a Hemi 'Cuda worth $4M? As a machine? No. As a symbol or object d'art? It would appear so.

As an aside, the vintage BMX guys can make the Schwinn collectors look like penny pinchers. $3000 Aerospeed cranks, $800 JMC bars, and a while back, an NOS Hutch tire sold on the 'bay for $800. One tire!

It's late, so I'd best stop rambling on and on and on and on :roll:

-Mp

ricksterr1221 said:

EVERY SCHWINN IS NOT OUTRAGEOUSLY STUPIDLY PRICED! THE MOST I HAVE PAID FOR A bike is 100 dollars. You guys just don't know where to shop, A lot of the crap is the name and they started a lot of stuff like the muscle bikes.. They were like the Cadillac of bicycles, that is why there priced the way they are.. You just have to know where to shop... :wink:

So why then Ricky,do you always say.......
"Hey guys..this is my New bike,What do you think it's worth"

"Defrocked from your seat,
don't S C H I T from where you eat!"

peace,
Kev.

Latest posts

Back