SCHWINN Sidewinder- 1983?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just purchased this from the Boise Bike Project. Price is a little higher than my $50 rule but it was too nice to pass up. There are no rub marks on the UKAI rims and the tires are original Schwinn Knobbies. It just needs a cleaning and some decals. I might also remove the accessories. Not sure what will happen with this one, maybe ebay. :shock: :shock:

Now if I could get RatRod to detail this out for me. :wink: :wink:

e18eb9c7.jpg

8f80c9e0.jpg

Thanks for all the comments. I have not had a chance to look at it over to thoroughly yet. Should be nice and easy to clean up.

If you need an original fork let me know, i just got given one like that in the same color (and a lot of other stuff) I am going to part most of them down.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29820

outskirtscustoms said:
If you need an original fork let me know, i just got given one like that in the same color (and a lot of other stuff) I am going to part most of them down.

That is the original fork for this bike. This was Schwinn's venture into the world of mountain biking back in the day.

i think sidewinders are interesting bikes in that they disprove the most common myths of the modern schwinn era- that schwinn was late getting into mtbs and that their mountain bikes didn't sell. 1982 sure wasn't 'late' and these things turn up all over the place so they obviously sold a bunch..... :)

Sweet ride! :shock:
That is really nice and no brake wear on the Ukai's?...that is almost unheard of. I would clean it up (lose the rack and light :mrgreen: ), get some repro decals, and ride that bad boy. I've got a 5-speed and a 10-speed, and i must say it is nice having the gears.

If you need an original fork let me know, i just got given one like that in the same color

Sidewinders came with those tubular, BMX-style forks...some were chrome and some were painted.

-Paul

cman said:
deorman said:
Oh, and change the crappy saddle. :wink:
Some what the plan. How about a vintage Brooks?

They originally came with a Brooks saddle but it was a big black plastic and vinyl thing with two oversize loop springs underneath.

I think a honey colored B-66 would look sweet on one of these.

Rat Rod said:
outskirtscustoms said:

That is the original fork for this bike. This was Schwinn's venture into the world of mountain biking back in the day.

Cool I thought they looked BMX style as do the wheels, I thought it may have been some kid's project. I've got a brown Schwinn that has the thin 10 speed tires and same color so I thought I'd ask. So it's all factory.....sweet. Learn something new every day.

Funny thing is I don't even have this bike yet. I did not have a way to pick it up last Friday so today I brought the Xtracycle to tow it home.

kingsting said:
I think a honey colored B-66 would look sweet on one of these.
I have a Honey B-17 that may find its way to this.

Back