Schwinn Racer military build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got most of the lettering done today, what a relief that is. I thought I would be able to find a stencil set fairly easily at an arts and crafts shop, but that was a big waste of time. They had all types of stencils there, but none with the traditional military font I was looking for so I made my own. I layed out what I wanted in Microsoft Word and printed it out in the size I wanted.

stencils001.jpg

Then I spraymounted another piece of paper to it to stiffen it and cut out the letters with an Xacto knife. I used to be able to do that without the magnifying glass...getting old. :mrgreen:

stencils002.jpg

A little measuring and taping and I have my stencils.

stencils003.jpg

stencils004.jpg

Now the fun part...painting! I was really nervous about lifting the paint so I stuck the blue tape to my shirt before sticking it on the frame and chainguard so it wouldn't be as sticky.

stencils005.jpg

stencils007.jpg

So far so good, none of the paint lifted and the letters came out pretty clean. For the frame I used towels to mask everything.

stencils009.jpg

stencils010.jpg

This is Shadow. He supervised all the painting activities.

stencils011.jpg

Next on the agenda is the 2nd Cav shield. I cut the shield mask out of blue tape and sprayed it on, now I'm just waiting for it to dry and I can paint in the details.

stencils014.jpg

Well, lots of wire wheeling and degreasing and re-greasing later, she's done! I kept it pretty simple and resisted the urge to put ammo cans and machine guns on it. :mrgreen: The insignia on the rear fender is the 2nd Cavalry Group.

armybike016.jpg

armybike015.jpg

armybike009.jpg

armybike008.jpg

armybike012.jpg

Sorry for the dark pics but it's been overcast here all day.

Scruffy49 said:
If you do your letters in flat black or flat light yellow, starting with *USN- whatever you choose, it could have SeaBee roots. All we did when I was in was sit on the beach drinking beer, get in fights with fleet bums, get in fights with the Marine security detachment at our base (Spain)... But mostly sit around drinking beer. Even during a hurricane when we had to sleep in the warehouses at our base in Mississippi (in brand new WW2 trucks, I got discharged in 1996).

Looks good so far.

And the best rattle can BRG is Rustoleum Dark Hunter Green.Goes on Jaguar, chalks out to Triumph or MG.
Scruffy,

You were a Bee? Me too. I'm still in the reserves, but I've now got 19 years in (joined in '93, right before they got rid of the pickle suits).

Latest posts

Back