Schwinn ... possible Phantom. Help!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just struck gold anyway. I bought this that was sitting in front of a house for 45$, so I am sure, that was not a bad buy.
The SN is E93434, it has a front spring and 6 hole back rack. It hasn't got the original chainguard, pedals, seat and lots of other things. It was repainted at some point and I don't know what the original color would be.

If anyone knows what else am I missing, please help!

Best,
scwhinn_whole_1.jpg

scwhinn_whole_2.jpg

scwhinn_SN.jpg

Thank you,
Luka

I can tell you the steer tube is on the fork backwards, Aftermarket Fenders,looks to be the wrong Rack, yes only Parts that are Schwinn is the frame and Springer,all else were add on's you wont determine Original Color till you take it apart or Strip the frame ...or merely sand a bit off the bottom bracket.. Also with it having that rear cross bar for the fender support was probably a three speed or more ?

~RafaeL~

Like Raf says, the springer is assembled wrong; hence the spacer to make the spring fit the gap. Also, you missed a number when you recorded the serial--it looks like E936434 making it a 1959 frame. The springer is pre-'56 Schwinn so it's officially 100% assembled from parts but who can complain for 45$!

Good deal on a 59 Schwinn! I did the same thing with my springer like yours, to extend the wheel and lower it slightly, but I didn't use a spacer on the spring. It will ride better the correct way. My springer was made for a Schwinn with a slightly shorter head tube, so it was hard to get it on my 53 Schwinn frame, the spring was slightly out of alignment but worked fine. It looks like only the frame and forks are Schwinn. The tires and rims look good so you've got much more than $45 worth of bike. As for which model the frame is, it could be almost any one of the models offered in 59. If you reveal the paint scheme, that may help. Here's the catalog:http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1959.html

Last edited:
Also with it having that rear cross bar for the fender support was probably a three speed or more ? ~RafaeL~

With that clip frame, that has to be a middleweight. A middleweight parts bike. Still a great buy for $45. Keep searching for that Phantom, they're still out there. Gary

Thank you, everyone! I am glad I got it, finally I have a bike that is relatively ridable hahaha, and I have 7 of them now, all in the process of cleaning and setting for the road.
Luka

it looks cool but definitely an array of different parts.
the wheels look to be off a newer cruiser bike.
i agree with frame and forks being the only original parts.
but heck 45 bucks for a true Schwinn rider how can you go wrong.
nice score!!
does that springer have a lock on it?

Back