Schwinn Mini Scrambler Score

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A little rough around the edges, but looks like it's all there. Any ideas on how to bring the paint back to life?

Picked up on the side of the road for free!

P1010369.jpg

i think that faded red is a bit too far gone to bring back, great bike for a repaint though even if you just do the frame and keep the black stuff original, and great job on picking up a hard to find bike/size, especially at that price !!! hope you know somebody who can enjoy it :D

cool bike. paint may be rough, but i'd strip the parts, simple green and wash the frame, then polish the heck out of it. i like to use meguires auto polish. i think you might be surprised at how it turns out. if you're not happy with it, you can still paint it. just my opinion. nice price too! :mrgreen:

You can save the paint and I would try.

Give it a good spray down with wd40 and right after that- simple green. Then clean as normal.

Take a scratch pad to the rusted areas and steel wool, wire toothbrush, etc. Get as much rust off as you can. When it's gone, take an appropriate shade of lacquer paint and glide it on with a brush. Once it's kicked a tad (but still tacky), take a very small amount of thinner and glide the brush over the painted areas. This will smooth it out. Leave it to dry fully.

Then take some 400 grit wet dry paper and lightly sand the area until smooth.

Get some good cleaner wax and rub the whole frame out.
Add more coats of wax as desired.

Boom, fully restored original paint.

Metal Militia said:
cool bike. paint may be rough, but i'd strip the parts, simple green and wash the frame, then polish the heck out of it. i like to use meguires auto polish. i think you might be surprised at how it turns out. if you're not happy with it, you can still paint it. just my opinion. nice price too! :mrgreen:

Good post.

Metal Militia said:

Definatly right. I think it will clean up great!

I used to use meguires...Switched to turtle wax...It was cheaper, but it sucks in comparison.

Metal Militia said:

vote,four. :mrgreen: :arrow:

the wheels turned out nice, although there was rust inside the rims. both are schwinn rims. There was a bunch of rust under the top tube pad. :cry:

Have regreased all the bearings and will put it back together next week..

Back