Schwinn Mesa [hand me down] TRAIN RAT and then...?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy I work with got a new bike because his old clunker finally gave out on him--something to do with the rear wheel and the bearings being shot. I haven't dug in yet so I'm not too sure. But I decided to grab the bike, because at the very least there were still a bunch of useful parts on it.

mesa-1.jpg

My favorite part about this bike is the rear triangle. I love how the top is outlining where the wheel would be.

mesa-2.jpg

Originally my plan was to leave this bare metal and convert it to single speed. But, I'm doing that with my other mtb and this frame is chro-mo so rusting would be an issue--however it might be a nice finish depending on how it would rust :?:

A second plan is to keep all the gears and make it sort of a chunky, fat-tired road bike. I am thinking of rockin the spruce moose lo-fi metal flake. Which worked well on a horn tank of mine. Basically it's this: hand paint copper on the frame offering a bit of texture, followed by a few alternating layers of gold and red glitter paint. It looks really nice in the sun. Finish it off with some white tires a brown noah's arc bar, cork grips... sweet. call it the root beer baron or somethin--maybe the sarsaparilla special

Thirdly, I've wanted to do a simple red primer rat rod for a while...

Basically I will get this rideable and leave it at the train station for a couple months while I'm freelancing this summer. So I need it to look like crap for a while. Version one will be a barely functional Train Rat. Then round about august I'll put all the nice stuff on there and really spruce it up.

Haha. Nah, I just couldn't think of a username for this forum so I randomly chose one of my bikes... :lol: You can call me Zach. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back