Schwinn Locking Springer Fork Assembly - Right Way, Wrong Way?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a Schwinn locking springer fork setup that needs to be assembled. I have a tendency to over think things so, this may be a non-issue, but is there a certain way that this type of fork should be assembled? Should it be assembled on or off the bike? Should I attach the spring hardware and truss rods before tightening the bolt that holds the legs and center tube together? What should be tightened up first? Etc... Looking for some guidance here to make this process go as smoothly as possible.

Assuming it is completely disassembled. Assemble yolk, spring with long bolt, collar and nut. Screw on the collar until it hits the spring then tighten the nut. Adjust later if you need too. Bolt the legs to the steering tube. Screw the bolt through the legs just far enough to put the nut on. A locking springer is for sure the old style springer, the holes for the cross bolt in the steering tube go toward the rear, as does the key hole. Put the collar over the steering tube and the yoke over the top of the legs. Have your truss rods and AS bolts ready. The bolt goes through the yoke, then the leg, then the truss rod, then put the nut on. The AS bolts have fine threads, be careful not to cross thread them. That should do it. You may have to take the nut off the cross bolt that holds the legs together and loosen it to put your wheel on.
If the above don't work, I'll give you your money back.:cool: Gary

Latest posts

Back