schwinn kickstand question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I want to know if you can ID a schwinn frame by the kickstand?

Are the schwinn frames the only ones with the integrated kickstand?

From what year to what year did they use this style of kickstand?

Thanks!

I don't mean to jack your thread here but, how do you take one of these kickstands off :?:

Schwinn first used this style of kickstand in 1946. The first model was slightly different in that it "tapered" slightly at the end. 1947 started pretty much the same one they used right up until the end in 1983.No, the kickstand will not denote a model, in fact many differently numbered stands will work on many different frames. As far as removing them there are a few different specialty tools out there for this that work extremely well. Compressing the the stand into the spring so the retaining pin can be removed is the key to this operation. :wink:

Slick Rick said:
Compressing the the stand into the spring so the retaining pin can be removed is the key to this operation. :wink:
They aren't the only ones. Huffy has a version that has a spring metal cover that holds it together.

deorman said:
Slick Rick said:
Compressing the the stand into the spring so the retaining pin can be removed is the key to this operation. :wink:
They aren't the only ones. Huffy has a version that has a spring metal cover that holds it together.

So huffy has a frame with a similar kickstand?

deorman said:
Visually similar welded on mount, the mechanicals are different.

So, from what year is that huffy?

I guess that beats the so called "schwinn experts" that go to my bar.

Heck, I'm sure there are quite a few other companies that have used the same or very similar kickstand aparatus that Schwinn first inovated.A patent only lasts so long before it can be "infringed" upon. My felt Torch has almost exactly the same mecanism. In fact, a tall bike jouster plowed my felt right into the kickstand and damaged the internal mechanism! I picked it up and it was facing forward! I looked at it and thought, what the hey? Its damaged anyway, pushed with my boot toward the rear and back into position. The next day, I removed it with my Park KS-1 tool, replaced the sprague with an OG Schwinn unit and it has been golden ever since! Fit perfectly! 8)

This is great! Can I see some pictures of these other bikes, maybe I can finally take the bet this guy offered me. When I take his money he will probably want to see some proof!

P7100026.jpg

197?ish Huffy Good Vibrations w/ integrated kickstand. 8)

not to throw a wrench into it but some price leader schwinns had bolt on kickstands, I've had 2 tornados, a 61 before and a 57 now and both with bolt on kickstands. these were low priced models back then, different stems, bars etc

caffeine7 said:
not to throw a wrench into it but some price leader schwinns had bolt on kickstands, I've had 2 tornados, a 61 before and a 57 now and both with bolt on kickstands. these were low priced models back then, different stems, bars etc

so there are also some schwinn models that didn't come with integrated kickstand! thats good to know. the reason i started this is because all of the so called "schwinn experts" that i know would tell me that the best way to ID a genuine schwinn frame was by the kickstand, they say "if it has an integrated kickstand in a schwinn" i never believed them since i've seen schwinn's from the 30's and they dont have the integrated kickstand, i guess i was right.

hey i know another guy that showed me a bike that is suppose to be a 1943 schwinn used in ww2 with an integrated kickstand and no serial number to be found anywhere. the guy he bought it from told this to him and he believed it. wow after all this info i think he's wrong, right?
i've seen war time columbia bikes that were used by the paratroopers, and i've seen pictures of old bicycles with engine used in ww2 but i don't know there brand. so the next question will be what brand of bicycles were used in ww2?

thanks!!!

I have a '55 Schwinn Spitfire with a bolt on kickstand. I verified the year by serial number and the Spitfire headbadge is riveted on and shows no sign of having been changed out. I just got a '58 Schwinn girls frame for a build for my wife and it has a welded on kickstand.
It seems like they switched back and forth when wanted to.

DonOne said:
I have a '55 Schwinn Spitfire with a bolt on kickstand. I verified the year by serial number and the Spitfire headbadge is riveted on and shows no sign of having been changed out. I just got a '58 Schwinn girls frame for a build for my wife and it has a welded on kickstand.
It seems like they switched back and forth when wanted to.

I also have a '55 Spitfire with a bolt on, but my badge is screwed on. :?

Cameron, you got me to thinking so I took another look at my headbadge, it is screwed on. The screw slots were gunked up so they looked like rivets. It is my rat bike, so some gunk ain't a bad thing.

Back