Schwinn ID Please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I just picked up a Schwinn cruiser and need help with the year.. Here is a picture of the SN#..
Thanks in advance.

I just picked up a Schwinn cruiser and need help with the year.. Here is a picture of the SN#..
Thanks in advance.

The Serial number being stamped on the rear drop out would place it prior to 1968 ...

~Rafael ~

Can you post a few pics of the frame, showing the welds on the head tube and the other dropout where the chain guard bolts up?

I am not 100 percent sure on this but im gonna take a guess that it is indeed a 60's tornado frame I had a tornado that was very similar to this style I believe mine was 1964 . it could also be a jaguar frame.
those typhoon cord tires are a good score and I believe they are correct to the 60's era
of course I am just guessing hope that helps
Sean

I rode on a a pair of those Typhoon tires for years, they give a nice smooth ride for big tires. Mine were repop though.
As for your bike, the welds on the head tube give it away as not being an American made Schwinn. Those bikes had smooth welds, and the chain guard attachment point in the rear was on the chain stay, not the seat stay as yours is. So, it was made after 1983 when Schwinn stopped making them in the USA. It's a Schwinn though, it has the built in kickstand. Your wheels look good, alloy or aluminum, and the 3 piece cranks look like a good set that was added. It seems to be a pretty good bike even though it's not a Chicago made frame.

I'm going with the Taiwan made bike cuz of how the welds on the head tube is not the smooth look but more of sharp edge weld..
Wheels are decent with Shimano rear coaster brake hub and in the front I can't make it out. I'll check the head badge for numbers.

I agree with that now that wildcat mentioned it
i think theres a post somewhere that has all the Schwinn serial numbers listed if not i can give you the one i went to to id my 54 im building up
it's pretty accurate and very useful.
sean

i wonder if this is or isn't a Schwinn legacy cruiser
they were built in the 80's and resembled this style very much so i think they even had the bmx forks on them.
not sure but i would check into that im thinking it may be but again im not very knowledgeable on these bikes.
Sean

I've looked and can't find any reference to a Y number anywhere. On the head badge should be 4 little numbers, the first 3 are day of the year and the last number is last digit of the year. 1245 as an example would be the 124th day of 85 or 95.

Ok with all the helpfull info and the answer was on the head badge.. Badge has the number stamped "1985" on it.

Last edited:
Well, I dug up more info. Schwinn had another plant in the 80's they started up when unions were a problem in Chicago, in Greenville, Mississippi. It was in use into the early 90's. So your bike may be American made.

"During the 1980s, Greenville used the old letter-digit
(e.g. F8 = June 1988)system which Chicago abandoned in 1965,
when it changed to the two-letter system."

As for the Y serial number, I found this:

"Some Japanese bikes may have an 'X' in the month position of the frame serial number. This was used to connect the remainder of a production run that spilled over into January of the next year. For example ‘X’ may have represented an overrun from the previous year. X9201937 should be Month X and Year 9. But it might be Month January of Year 0. Using this logic, Y9201937 might actually have been made in February of 1980, but was a part of the 1979 production run. I'm still looking for a confirmation of this dating method."

So, I'm thinking it is most probably from a run that spilled over in Greenville and they used that type of numbering like the Japanese bikes did.
The Japanese bikes were imported 71-82, made by Panasonic, before the Taiwanese made by Giant bikes were imported after 81. The Giant frames serials start with a "G".

But the Japanese and Taiwanese frames were mostly road bike frames, that's why I think yours is a Greenville made frame.

Latest posts

Back